Making the best out of a small space?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Immeco, Mar 9, 2012.

1. So, I'm starting a stealth box grow, and I got a few questions. I've only ever done outdoor grows, but having recently moved into an apartment I'm forced to downsize. Plus, it seems like it'd be a fun little project.

1. I'm using a pc case as a grow box. Obviously this doesn't leave me a lot of room. What would I get a bigger yield off of, laying the box horizontal(opposite of how computers usually sit) and using the LST method, or setting the box vertical and trimming as my plant grows?

2. How badly am I gonna have to worry about bugs, since this is such an enclosed grow?

3. I'm using CFL's to do this, due to the cheap cost. I'm thinking of NOT switching between soft-light and daylight, and just upping the lumens (adding more bulbs) would this even work, or is it a waste of time? Again, this is really only experimentation. Trying to get a grasp on growing in such a small space, and have some fun with it.

Thanks for any help y'all can offer!

2. LST will maximize your yield for the space you have.

Bugs will not be a concern as long as the room it is in/area around is clean. Bugs will find a way into the smallest spaces and are always a thing to be aware of.

Switching bulbs will give you the biggest yield and is worth the extra couple bucks. Try to get the largest CFL, or even T-5's, you can fit in the case.

Good luck!

3. Thanks for the reply!

Questions: What would be more effective, one really large blub, or multiple smaller ones? Is there a noticeable difference between the two? Also, is there a specific soil that would be best for a small grow like this? A friend of mine told me that soil with nutrients that would normally be used for growing would just "over-feed" the plant, due to the size. Is there any truth to this?

4. 1 large bulb will give off many more lumens than a lot of small ones.

Difference between CFL and T-5? Or 2700k and 6500k spectrums?

Optimally, you want to build your own soil instead of one with pre-mixed nutrients and stuff you cannot control inside of it. If you do buy a premixed soil make sure it does not have time-release nutrients because it offers the least control over nutes.

5. Both, actually.

6. [​IMG]

6500k mimics the sun during plants typical vegging phase. 2700k is a warmer yellow and mimics the sun during flowering. You can use the 6500k bulb with the 2700k bulb during flowering but I wouldn't veg with a 2700k or flower with a 6500k alone. Remember, indoors you are trying to recreate what nature provides.

CFL are more intense in a short range while T5's will spread that light over a couple feet. CFL are more flexible in their placement while T5's are pretty much setup and you cannot move them, especially inside a pc case.

2011 Stealth PC Grow Box 250w LED/T5 Hydroponic GrowBox420.com LST - no CFL - YouTube
    A little video I found of a pc case with t5's and even an LED inside of it. After viewing this I would go with a T5 setup with a CFL or two for more control, depending on how large your case is.