Making switch to Coco. few questions

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by bittercoldoldman, May 25, 2016.

1. hey everyone long time lurker and occasional poster here. Ive always been a soil guy, but was recently gifted a few bags of Nutrifield Coco Coir as well as the full lineup of Nutrifield Coco nutes to do a trial run for a local growshop that was looking at getting their products. Well Long story short I ran the Coco alongside my normal soil ive used for a few years( a greenhouse organic mix made local) and had less finicky plants as far as feeding, and also noticed the gnats that pop up in my garden occasionally def prefer the soil plants to the coco ones. Also #1 reason for my change, the yield was significantlly better with the Coco.

Now onto my question.... the only hiccup I had with the Coco was the first 2 weeks in veg after planting clones rooted in rockwool into their 5gal hempys with the coir, they all yellowed a little and were very slow to drink/ droopy compared to my soil veg. After 2 weeks of very minimal watering using 1/2 strength GH Bioroot and GH Cal/mg the growth started and eventually they overtook the plants in soil both in size and vigor.
    Question is what could have caused this stunting. Should i maybe have fed a little stronger on the N side since its Coco and probably not much in way of nutes in there to start. Straight from rooted clone how do you guys start your Coco plants? How much do i wet down the Coco when first planting, I feel i may have overwatered when i first planted because of how light and dry the coco was.

Basically Im just looking for pointers to help get my clones moving faster in this new medium, definately love it once everything is locked in and can push the nutes in flower, just having slow starts.

• Like Like x 1
  2. are you in 100% coco? in my experience it holds too much water.

if you are using 50-50 coco-perlite - that works VERY well in a hempy

as for clones in coco, no experience. i always grow from seed

• Like Like x 1
  3. I too am doing a similar test here.

Secret room

And found the same thing. They need nutes from day (1) almost (ok, end of week 1) and next time I would rehydrate the coco with 1/4 strength nutes.

4. hey guy been a bit but I'm back. things are trucking along now, I've found a good dose of Superthrive Vitamins and a little heavier on the bioroot plus a little 29% h202 Oxygen booster picked freshly transplanted clones right up and kicked them in the pants. In veg I seriously love H202, I feel it adds that extra oxygen to the mix and keeps roots clean and free of rot in early stages. Kills any larvae that may be lurking in there too:)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Any pics for us?

Sent from my LG-D852 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. ill try and take a fewnext time I'm over... I never remember my camera and the one on my shitty straight talk phone from Walmart is awful lol

• Like Like x 1
  7. Love the name BTW lol.