Making Concentrate? Opinions pls

Discussion in 'Concentrate Tools' started by Crosshairs, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Im getting ready for harvest, and Ive been looking into making concentrates so I have somewhere to process my trim/excess and LQ buds. My goal is too get a high quality concentrate(Yielding as much as the plant will provide), free of plant matter and impurities from processing, Im still torn between some options, I figure ill need to invest around 500-800+ for most of these extraction processes. Safety is a priority, so id rather stay away from anything Volatile.

There are several options Ive been considering, Ill list them by preference
    Alcohol Extraction, was considering something like the Source Turbo, or Id look into doing short path distillation but thats expensive to get the most basic of setups. I looked at the ISO 3, looks interesting but I dont think its much better than an alcohol still, and im looking for more control over that. Id order 200 Proof extraction quality Alcohol for this. Id like to see if maybe I could make my own version of a vacuum purge/heater but the source looks best for this, and maybe adding on another dedicated vacuum system later if I really feel like doing 24/hr purges. Im really into the idea of distillation but the labware isnt cheap and is fragile as hell.

Rosin, its pure but getting a proper press doesnt look to be cheap at all(I wont do a Shitty press, its gotta have REAL pressure), I feel like its messy to deal with/collect and I dont know if Im really extracting everything I want just by pressing, plus presses are huge so storing/moving long term doesnt sound optimal, dont think it works for trim well either

C02 Extraction, looks a bit pricey, not sure how effective it is, how hard it is to purge after. Not fond of the idea of high pressure but this sounds MUCH better than BHO which I wouldnt even like to consider. Having a hard time finding a system for this, not sure how much after processing I would need either

Bubble Hash, looks good, yield looks okay but its pretty basic and I dont know if ill get the retuns im after, may be good just for trim not really bud

Opinions on making concentrate, experiences, systems used, pictures are a huge help.

• alcohol will leave you with a low grade waxy, chlorophylle imbued oil unless you run it through some special filtering ('inexpensive' lab gear needed), and there is that long purge in a hot water bath to consider...
    • BHO will give you the most for your buck but runs a risk of FIRE/EXPLOSION with or without a closed loop system...and if you do not have a vacuum oven it will take a long time to purge in a hot water bath
    • CO2 extraction machines are not cheap, they are EXPENSIVE so most people cannot afford one..if you know someone that will run your scraps with a CO2 system, then do it, the extract will have all the thc/cbd/terps that you wanted..(btw: you do not "purge" CO2 extracts...)
    • bubble hash is a good old treat if you have a few lbs of trim but you will not get much compared to the above methods...

alternative: turn all the scraps into infused coconut oil and make a lot of edibles?

2. Hash Master 5000 - Dry Ice Method, Hash Oil Capsules, Everclear Tincture

Both covered. Dry Ice and 190 Proof.
    Dry Ice - Hashmaster 5000 gives me the best.
    The scraps left after that mechanical extraction I use 190 proof ethanol to make tincture from and most of that is reduced to RSO.
    All of my dry ice kief is turned into Coconut oil-hash capsules for my medical issues.
    All low tech and relatively low cost. The Gallon of 190 proof isn't cheap but I recover most of that now so the costs and losses are minimal after the initial costs.
    10 pounds of Dry Ice runs about a buck a pound and that'll process 2-3 pounds of buds. 15% recovery is about the normal take.
    BNW

• Like Like x 1
  3. Have you looked at the source turbo? Doing a 3 minute frozen soak for first run looked to yield pretty good results.

Is all you need to purify bho a vaccum oven?
    Otherwise short path distillation I know would definitely work well there but that's 1-2k for the setup minus the initial extractor, which I'll look into for the future.
    My main concern is risk and purity. If I can clean out the butane fully ill definitely consider

Sent from my SM-N950U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. Dry ice kief looks pretty good, wasn't looking to go for a full RSO(I'll try eventually, might make greendragon first) , I watched a video of dry ice kief being pressed into rosin, looked really good. I'd have to look into a good way to shake it all, and a surface to collect it all

Sent from my SM-N950U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. [​IMG]
    Hashmaster 5000