Making cheap cars for expensive car looks

Discussion in 'High Ideas' started by ddd3, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Notice how everyone wants a lambo for the way it looks? Why don't car companies make a cheap car the average consumer can afford (around $22,000) but have the design look like an expensive sports car. Cleary making the car look more dynamic in the wind without having a ridiculously powerful engine shouldn't cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. Wouldn't car companies make so much more money this way? I know I would want to buy one

2. That is how a lawsuit happens, haha.

but maybe? I personally wouldn't want a wantabe Lamborghini with a weak ass engine...

but for the economic person maybe it would work out? Hybrid Lambo?
    Haha!

3. The thing is, when people spend all that money, they want the car to perform.

I know I would never pay just for the looks of a car, thats stupid.

People pay for performance.

Also, companies own the rights to how their cars look, so they would have to be th ones producing it and if they did, they would get knocked on by the whole car community for making shoddy cars.

4. If you notice everything out there is looking more sporty and have stronger engines. Look at the bugs, focus, kias. Wtf.

5. in china they make counterfeit cars. all kinds. recently a car was in the news that looked like an f150 but it just wasnt lol. they probably make counterfeit sports cars but i wouldnt be suprised if had it problem after problem

6. Theres no way that lets say Chevy could make a car with such high qualities as lambo, Benz, BMW, or Lexus. The quality and prestige in these cars is what makes them expensive.

7. Like a lot of people have said, people usually dont just buy luxury cars because of the looks. they buy it for the whole package, looks, performance, quailty.

I'm sure they could fit a shell of a lambo on all types of cars, but if the car/engine underneath is still week who would want it? It would be like a joke.

8. they came out with a cheap sporty aerodynamic car long ago, people still love it today...
    [​IMG]:hello:

9. #9 ddd3, Apr 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2012
    Well it doesn't have to be a "weak" engine perse. They could still fit in a v6 or a v8. But what makes a car turn heads on the street isn't just the loud exhuast, it's the way it looks. Tinted windows, nice rims, paint job, side skirts, spoilers/wings. These are the things that make people say "that's a nice" car.

But notice how every supercar has a certain look to it? You can just tell it's a supercar and rediculously expensive just by looking at it. They should make a car that looks like a supercar that is affordable, but not just rediculously expensive.

Maybe my first thought of $22,000 was too low. Maybe less that $50,000 though, I think that's a reasonable price.

The only cars I've seen with the sporty style that are not a ridiculous price are as follows: 350z,370z, Hyundai Tiburon, Mitsubishi Eclipse, Ford Mustang, Toyota Celica, Mitsubishi 3000GT, Chevy Camaro, Mazda RX8, and a few other 90's cars I can't think of right now. Oh yeah and the Lotus Exige, which looks fantastic and is affordable for around $50,000. But that's the only one I can really think of that could fit my answer.

If you can think of anything else feel free to add to the list.

10. #10 Hydroriffic, Apr 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2012
    you pay for what you get.

If wanna be a cheap bastard then your gonna drive a cheap bastard car.

cars aren't cheap to engineer or test.... i mean there is more then just the cost of materials when manufactures set a car price.

Wouldn't car companies make so much more money this way?

common sense now, dont you think a car company.... A BUSINESS, would wanna make more money, they obviously know what they're doing and are doing what works....

which car would you want?
    this:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjEKi9D2hh0&feature=related[/ame]

or this:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q84jfWC1mT8[/ame]

11. Um they do?

Besides research and development costs a fortune.

12. Feauxrrari :smoke:

13. That shit is expensive.

14. It is, but still shouldn't exceed $100,000 dollars, or match up to the price of a supercar.

15. it wouldnt be a "supercar" then, itd just be a sportscar and they already do this.....

you named off like 10 cars and still wonder why they do make cheap cars for expensive car looks, What more do want?

A supercar imo can reach speeds close to 200mph+, i wouldnt base the meaning of a supercar on its "expensive looks", expensive looks is just a byproduct of millions of $'s of Research in the wind tunnel. Otherwise they'd be giving cars away for less then they cost to produce.

if you haven't figured it out by now, go read a book or something.

16. Nooo!! I would never rock a "looks like it goes fast but doesn't at all" car. Its knock off. Any time of the day i would rock a "sleeper" instead of a lookslikeitgoesfastplasticbodypanels ontop a old crappy week toyota drivetrain.

17. They do actually, the Hyundai genesis looks a lot like a bentley if you don't know that much about cars

18. China is already doing this....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Have you driven a lambo? The visibilty sucks and they have no space for anything. Not useable in the real world on an every day basis. And whoever would be buying this car would most likely have it as their only car.

Plus, this is already happening. Look at hyundai and kia, trying to copy merc/bmw/rolls/bentleys etc.

20. The car you are looking for is a pontiac Fiero. Nowadays you can probably pick one up off of craigslist for 1,000 and they actually made ferrari kits for those cars to make them look sort of like a ferrari. so for a few grand you can have exactly what you want. And get 20+mpg while doing it. You are welcome.