Make A Homemade Carbon Scrubber - Step By Step Instructions

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Scott226, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Let me start by saying this project is based off some recovered text from OG that provided me a parts list and basic direction. Since that tutorial is now unfortunately gone I decided to document my build so all you pictorial learners have something to see.

I think this design because it is relatively cheap, pretty easy to build, and offers flexibility. Depending on your grow room size you can make it longer or larger in diameter. I have a small chamber so I will be doing a short and small design.

Parts list:
    6" Duct cap
    4" Duct cap(I couldn't find one of these so I used a 4" collar and folded the tabs done and taped it closed)
    4" Collar
    6"X4" reducer
    (2) 6" worm clamps
    (2) 4" worm clamps
    Hardware cloth (its in the fencing section, looks like chicken wire with 1/2" squares)
    Lady's stocking(or Pantyhose doubled up)
    Aluminum tap(or duct tape, aluminum sticks better)
    Activated Carbon(for smaller filters you can get containers at the pet store, if you need alot look around to order bulk), it took one of the larger 28oz containers and one of the smaller ones to fill my design up.

EDIT: Some numbers you help you estimate the liters of carbon required(since it tends to be sold in containers maked by metric volume in the pet store, I may crunch the conversion to oz, later). To use these numbers multiple the side wall length you desire(in inches) by the number to get an estimated volume needed in liters(bank on needing a tad more to fill the space in the reducer cone):
    8x6"= .36
    6x4"=.258

Optional(for a fill/emptying port that doesn't require taking the bottom off.
    1/2"x3/8" pipe reducer
    3/8" pipe plug
    1/2" conduit lock nut

Tools
    Tin snips, wire cutters, or pliers
    Screw driver

As I mentioned I am building a shorter filter so I am triming down the length of the caps and reducer where they meet the hardware cloth, if you have a larger design this step likely isn't needed. I used some masking tap to lay down a cutting path, I figure the width of the tap is plenty to secure a clamp to(see pics).

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      28.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      28.7 KB
      Views:
  2. Since I couldn't find a 4" cap I bought an extra 4" collar and bend the taps flat and then tapped the end shut(see pics).

Next I cut the hardware wire to the length and width needed. For my design I choose a 10" sidewall lenth. The width needed is the diameter plus a little over lap. I left 2" of overlap on mine which is 4 squares. Either measure or wrap teh cloth around your end caps to determine the appropriate width. Cut the wire so it is flush with the wire crossing it so the aren't wires poking out. I went ahead and doubled some duct tap over the top, bottom, and outter flap on the wire to minimize any snagging issues when putting the tights over.

Attached Files:

• 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      21.7 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      26.6 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      53.2 KB
      Views:
  3. Next make a tube out of the wire and slip the clamps loosely over, then stick on the end cap and either collar or reducer depending on which piece you are working with(The wire goes on the outside). Side the worm clamp over the wire and ducting and snug it up. For a more compact design I used some plieres to snug up the grating and got the squares snug and inline. Then used some trash twist ties to tie up a few areas(I figure this will allow me to remove the clamps the apply the tights and but the clamps over the tights). See pics.

Attached Files:

• 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      21 KB
      Views:
    • 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      34.8 KB
      Views:
  4. Next I removed the worm clamps from the inside piece(the wire held its shape due to the twist ties) put the appropriate fittings on each end and slide the stocking over. Due to my short design I was able to double the legs up and use the lower leg for the inside and upper leg for the outside. Slide the worm clamp over the stocking to the appropriate place and tighten down and trim. Stick the tab end of the collar on the inside piece into the inside of the duct reducer. Use foil tap on the inside to secure it. Repeat the same process for appling the stocking to the large piece as you did for the inside.

Attached Files:

• 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      File size:
      25.5 KB
      Views:
  5. An option I decided to add to mine was a filling port, thus I can fill it when its fully assembled. I happened to have a 7/8" hole saw to drill the hold in the bottom. Make sure the hole lines up where the carbon will be when assembled. The fat end of the reducer goes on the outside and lock nut on the inside, the plug for when its filled. I used a funnel to fill it up, kinda a time consuming shake the carbon around process but its over with now [​IMG] .

EDIT: On retrospect I think if I was building another I'd bag the pipe fittings and just drill the hole. After filling it a couple pieced of aluminum tape would probably hold the carbon in fine.

Well there it is. :p

Attached Files:

• 9.jpg
      9.jpg
      File size:
      33.6 KB
      Views:
    • 10.jpg
      10.jpg
      File size:
      25 KB
      Views:
  6. How long is the filter good for?

7. Depending on how bad the smell is it should last a few monthes about 3, then just go to the pet store and buy some to re-fill it and empty out the old stuff. Its not expensice $20 will get it re-filled.

8. nice one dewd, gonna give it a go.
    Any idea of the size of the one i'd need to build please growing 3 NL in a cab 2.5ft square x 7.5ft high ?

9. Id say a 11 inches long and about 12 inches in diameter

10. cheers mate +rep

11. Thanks, good luck tell me how it goes :smoking:

12. Awsome tut man its so sad what happened to OG 0_0 all that info locked away in some evidence room.

13. Yea lol

14. note: make sure you dont get the "holey" type pantyhose ;) lol

15. I specifiacly mentioned I didnt write it. Maybe you should investigate a bit more before you jump to conclusions ;)

16. 2 questions

1. Can I attach the carbon scrubber no top of my outtake fan, therefore not requireing any additional fans,,,,im using a small cab 4x2x2

2. will the carbon scrubber last for the entire grow (4 plants) or will i require to change materials during flowering,,,meaining will filter where out

17. 1- As long as the fan is strong enough then yes.
    2- It should deffinitely last the full grow of 4 plants

18. Resurection :eek: