Magnets Repulsion

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by grass man420, Jun 13, 2013.

1. you know how magnets repel each other. well what if you got two massive and incredibly strong magnets but also a massive and incredibly strong clamp that  would mechanically force the 2 magnets together.would the clamp break inevitably? would the positive and negatice forces of the magnets just have to deal with being directly touching each other?

2. Over time the clamp would weaken.

Its only a question of how long.

The magnets will also lose the electromagnetism over time, so they might die before breaking the.clamp

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. my teacher said that magnets don't lose power by being used all the time though.

so your saying that the magnets for the lid and bottom of my kief box will wear out over time?

4. All things decay over time.

It may not be noticeable in a human lifetime though

5. i think the clamp would break if the magnets were strong enough

6. this is what i think would happen. the magnets would wear down the clamp and not the other way around.

7. this is what i think would happen. the magnets would wear down the clamp and not the other way around.
    </blockquote>
    It depends.on Tue strength of the magnet and the clamp.of coarse.

You can't say either way without more info

8. what if the magnet and clamp were of equal strength?

9. They would both break of coarse

10. maybe the metal in the magnet would change around, but the magnetic force would still be there

11. I would consider that "breaking" it since the magnet would be warped

12. I did this with some 32lb rare earth magnets in a vice, I accidently created a black hole, it's slowly consuming my garage