Mag Deficiency in No-Till?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by 918AutoGrower, Aug 17, 2018.

1. I have what seems to be a magnesium deficiency. The plants are growing like freaking crazy, but a few of my plants have taco’d and discolored leaves. I thought it was a nitrogen deficiency, but they wouldn’t tack if it was just nitrogen. So I’m thinking it is a magnesium deficiency.

Anyway, I am new to organic no-till growing and I don’t know what to use or how to add a form of magnesium that will be immediately available to the plants. I don’t have time to top-dress with something and wait two weeks while it is being made available to my plants. I have some Advanced Nutrients Sensi CalMag (5-0-0), and a friend of mine said to use that because it is organic. But I am hesitant to use it because although it may be organic, I don’t know if it will contribute to or possibly negatively affect the living microbes in my soil.

Any suggestions?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

“Tyranny anywhere is a threat to freedom everywhere.” — someone awesome

2. #2 Rezerg, Aug 17, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    If it has the proper nutrients and its still showing deficiencies, it means the ph is being lowered or raised too much by the contents. Fix this by adding a couple spoons of dolomite lime and watering it thouroughly. Dolomite will fix the ph to 7 which is optimal.

You may also want to look into adding worms and a top layer of mini clover. Worms and mini clover go a long way to fixing deficiencies and providing an abundant source of nutes. Clover especially provides a perfect fixing source of nitrogen.

You should also check your temp to make sure its not the issue too.

Please feel free to take a look at my current grow journal below to see the results.

3. what are your temps and RH in there? Tacoing is usually a sign of heat stress.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Mini clover the seed? Just asking because I am to start my first organic grow.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

5. Yup. Mini clover does wonders for nitrogen.

6. Interesting. I wouldn’t have thought that I have a pH issue. I always pH my water to 6.30. Is that too acidic?

Temps have been stable....usually around 74-77, but the last few days it climbed to 82-83 for a couple hours during the hottest part of the day.

I’ll order some mini clover and I guess I can get some regular night crawler worms from Academy...like the kind you would go fishing with?!

7. You should not be pHing the water at all. So, I'm guessing that is the source of the issue. The soild should be able to buffer the pH. I agreed that some dolomite lime should help with the pH buffering.

As for worms, go with red wiggler. You can get EW as well but they like to live deeper and if you are in less than 10 gallons I would not bother.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  8. 6.3 is a little low imo. You want it at about 6.8 . Dolomite lime has a ph of 7 so its a good fix when ph is an issue. 6.3 isnt bad but its on the border and probably swings a little lower than that when youre not looking. It could def be causing the signs youre seeing.

You can order red wigglers off amazon. It doesnt matter how many you get. They will breed to fit the size of your container.

9. Then why does KindSoil say that as long as you are in the 6.0 - 7.0 range then you’re good to go?

I watered them today and added some Recharge. I adjusted pH to 6.70.

10. Nutrient_Chart2.gif Right which it is but you have to understand that if youre having ph issues, its most likely because the ph swings out of those range after you water it, then the water sets it back to 6.3 but right before it was watered, it could have been 5.5

You see what im getting at? If the ph is around 6.8, then even if it swings down .5 points, it will still be within range to take in all its needed nutrients.

11. Well I’m not going to give my plants water that is 4.00 so yeah I’m going to pH it. I filter my tap water with ZeroWater pitcher and adjust pH with Earth Juice up and down. It’s organic and should be fine.

12. So if I’m growing in 3 gallon fabric pots you’re saying it’s pointless to get worms? I was about to order some of them thar red wigglars lol

13. Okay. So adding the dolomite lime would regulate it back to 7.0ish?

14. How long ago were they transplanted? Was the amount of light they receive increased recently? Any chance you are overwatering?
    Speaking of transplanting I'd actually transplant them into the 10g pots instead of leaving them in Solo cups.

RD

• Like Like x 2
  15. The clones were transplanted 16 days ago. They have been under quantum board LEDs for the last two weeks. Not overwatering. They get watered every 2.5 - 3 days.

16. Right. A couple tablespoons should do it. Sprinkle it on and water it in. I would also recommend grabbing fabric pots. A bit part of a good no till grow is having plenty of aeration as well so that oxygen is available 24/7.

1-2 tbl spns per gallon of medium.

If they were recently transplanted then it could be stress from that as well.

17. Agree, red wiggle would be best

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

18. You are experiencing a transpiration issue. It's not a pH or magnesium problem. Those are awfully small plants to be needing water every 2-3 days. How big are the pots?
    You stated that they were put under a different (is it stronger?) light source a couple days after transplant. It may be a good idea to raise the light or dim it down some. A strong light source after transplant can cause exactly what you are seeing. It is also unnecessary for veg. I believe this problem has been exacerbated by not getting them out of the Solo cups.
    @FlexedDabs is correct about adjusting the pH of your water. It's unnecessary. I haven't used a pH meter in close to a decade.
    You are also getting some piss poor advice. I'd suggest researching the members here and pick one to mentor you through a crop or two.
    RD

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1