Grasscity - Cyber Week Sale - up to 50% Discount

Made my own LED light (sucks)

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by goombah111, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Bought 3x 10 packs of "3w" LEDs for 7$ and wired up 18 of them.

3 sets of 6 in series wired in parallel with a 1ohm 1w resister at the end of each. Powered by 12v 1a power supply. (Old router AC adapter)

Runs at 12w according to my kill-a-watt meter.

18x3= 54w rated. Not sure if they really are 3w lights cause they get hot even at 12w. I'm thinking they are just 1w and I was lied to. Gonna buy some 1w LEDs and compare them.

Here's a pic of it lit and not lit

Though id share since It took me over an hour to do

Attached Files:

2. Ummm...LEDs get hot thats why folks are using

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. Heatsinks and fans otherwise they get to hot and shorten the life. Also the same reason they run them half power.

Wish I had the time to make my own LED setup. There is a cool diy led thread somewhere in here you should check it out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. I got a fan. I glued it since then to a piece of aluminum with some heat sink compound adhesive.

Are you a teacher or something? Thanks for trying to help me out but I'm fine lol

5. #6 goombah111, Feb 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2016
    I said sucks cause it's cheap and I made it so it was sortov a modest thing for lack of better word.

More...pessimism lol

Ill still check that link out if I didn't already see it

6. #7 CanadianOrganic, Feb 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2016
    What's the point of making a thread if you aren't going to take advice?

HIGH quality leds should only be ran at 50%

7. Thread isnt here for advice even though it felt more like criticism. Plus if you didnt read my reply
    Which I did. Thanks.

Yeah these are running at <1/4 power according to the given specs. But like I said I have a feeling they are 1w which would make them being run at 2/3 power. And they are not high quality.

Thanks again.