made a new light fixture

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by S.F. Sage, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Nice hood... I just made something nearly identical (used the same ducting for the reflectors), but I screwed the reflectors to the top of a 2x2 and mounted 2 power strips to the bottom of the 2x2. Used the same socket splitters to mount 8 cfls. Cheap and easy. :)

My only concern with your setup is the wattage rating for that bathroom fixture. It prolly is supposed to take (incandescent) bulbs that are 60w or lower, though it could be higher or lower. If you greatly exceed that rating (e.g., 4x42w bulbs in a socket rated for 60w), the wiring inside the fixture will get overheated and will be a fire hazard.

GL with the grow... :D

2. for wiring a pc fan you need the fan and a dc adapter like the one that charges your cell phone, power's computer speakers, those kind of things. All you do is cut the 2 wires on the fan, cut the two wires on the adapter, and then connect them. If it doesn't work, then switch the wires.
    And the voltage output on the adapter will determine the speed of the fan i.e. 12v will run your fan at full speed and most cell phone chargers only put out around 6v which will run your fan at half speed. So make sure you have one with enough output.
    good luck! and looking nice!

3. thanks for the concern but the fixture takes 4 x 100watt incandescent bulbs so thats 400 watts total and i'm well below that about 56 watts per socket on the fixture. Also being an electrician kinda helps :) so i'm not too worried about it.

got any pictures of your set up i'd like to see it :smoking:

4. thanks my brother didn't even think about using a charger lol i'll be doing this later today I have a ace hardware charger that I can change the volts on so I'm going to try it out.:hello:

5. Excellent! Lotta people load up on bulbs but seem to forget to consider how much draw there is on one little socket. ;)

Here's some pix I just took, should give you the idea... in the second pic, one side of the reflector is propped up so you can see the innards.

I'm considering applying a coat of flat white paint to the interior... no idea how reflective that ducting really is... thoughts? I'll prolly also apply something on the sides of the reflector, a bar between the outer edges on each side, some kind of strut to help it maintains a uniform shape.

P.S.... the babies are 4 days old. :D

Attached Files:

6. its funny you should say that i was thinking about doing the same thing...:smoking:

toastybiz any thought on it...:confused: good bad don't bother

7. #27 S.F. Sage, Feb 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2009
    heres how they look today and how my topped parts are looking please excuse my gypson that got on them i'm going to clean it off nobody wants to smoke some gypson lol heres the heat relief hole i made too that i'm soing to put a computer fan in

Attached Files:

8. They look awesome... I'm jealous, I wish I still had my CFL setup right now. My only tip at this point would be ensuring you saved the receipt for the bulbs. Surely they have a nice warranty and shit happens :smoking:

9. I like the clean job I can see you did topping that plant.

10. How did you wire your vanity fixture. I have yet to play with wiring anything but I am told it is not as difficult as one would imagine. Any assistance would be awesome. Great setup!

11. shits pretty easy, buy an extension cord, cut off the female end, take the white wire(neutral) from cord and white wire from fixture and connect with wire nut, then take the black wire(hot) and the black wire from the fixture and connect with wire nut wa la u are connected plug in and see if ya did it right.:D

12. Aren't you worried about a fire hazard?
    I want to increase my lighting but I fear starting a fire with modifying equipment that was meant for something else.

13. damn 16 cfls? thats heat!

14. Sage.........

I AM ALL FOR CFL CHEAP GROWS... but with all those 42 Watters at $10 a pop.... couldn't you have just found a 250W HID ballast on craigslist.org for the same price.

I have seen 400W HPS ballasts w/bulb included for $50 OBO.

Check it out. I am.

15. Great minds think alike!! Mine's alot more rustic, but still working like a charm vegging 3 seedlings.

IMG_2653.jpg

Instead of buying an extension cord, you can buy a power tool replacement cord that is already stripped and ready to go. :D

Your room and plants are looking tight man. Best of luck.

16. naw didn't get the 42 watters lol I just got more cheap ass cfls from wally world $1 a bulb

17. I love the double-up idea, that's a great light system. I'm gonna have to try that.

18. That is some crazy shit! :hello::hello::hello:

Nice job! I think you could probably be more efficient with 42Wers, but that looks freaking impressive if nothin else! So please go into more detail about your heat and ventilation. are you monitoring temps? What is it getting up to in there?

Again, nice job! You made me LOL...:D

19. #40 ledman, Apr 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2009
    GREAT Sage! Definetly great !

..i was thinking, what's about adding 2x20, better 25 W, more daylight spectrum fluo tubes 60cm long, up to ur CFL bulbs, attached and covering all along the inside area of ur reflector hood?
    I think this will optimize 100% ur great idea..mine it's about saving the light and k dispersion.

I've notished that the zone above ur CFL, between lights and reflector,is very dark..and my thought this zone DEFINETLY is absorbing a nice amount of ur light spectrum.

Fluo tubes will by pass this, giving all light to ur plants..

Anyway, this is my personal thought!:D

Great job Sage, and ur babies look very nice and healthy!! Good luck...;)

Any comments is welcome,obviously!

Cheerz:smoking: