Ma. voters OK easing marijuana laws

Discussion in 'General' started by Madmike420, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Ma. voters OK easing marijuana laws

BOSTON (AP) - People caught with an ounce or less of marijuana won't be considered criminals in Massachusetts. Voters have approved a measure to ease marijuana laws.

Under the new law, which takes effect in 30 days, those caught will be forced to give up the pot and pay a $100 fine, instead of facing criminal penalties.

Supporters say the measure spares those caught with small amounts of the drug from having a criminal record, which can make it harder to get a job, student loan, or gain access to public housing.

Critics, led by the state's 11 district attorneys, warn the measure could lead to more drug abuse among young people.

Under the new law, anyone under 18 also has to complete a drug awareness course or may face a stiffer, $1,000 fine.

(Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

2. lol.. 100 fine for an oz.

3. this is ill, wish it was like this last year when i got arrested tho haha. now i kinda want to blow blunt smoke in a cops face, and just pay $100...lol.

4. they'd call it assault

5. Hell yes! Finally, living in MA isn't soooo bad for weed anymore. Great news. Sparking a bowl right now...

6. Congratulations Mass tokers.

We're all step closer to the big dream.

7. this is fucking awesome

8. 100$ is better then months and months of probation

minors get fucked in the ass haha 1000$

9. close to MA so this is sick news.

"Critics, led by the state's 11 district attorneys, warn the measure could lead to more drug abuse among young people."

Such bull shit; any EVIDENCE?

10. dude i totally wanna live in mass now....lived in northeast all my life and now we finally got a state that decriminalized!

11. Now to just stay on the low for 30 days.

12. Congratulations to all you that get to enjoy this. Turns out stoners that vote can make a difference, oh shit!

13. Anybody know if the new proposed law would protect you from being drug tested by a local court system? Would they just not test for THC metabolites in MA anymore?

14. Yeah me too. Shit's been getting hotter and hotter 'round here.

15. Maine is decriminalized.

16. i don't think this would protect you, nothing has changed expect for the fact that if you are caught with possession of under an ounce it's no longer criminal. weed is still illegal. however, if you're currently on probation from a previous possession charge and being tested, idk what will happen.

this can still be amended in the next 30 days, lets hope not...

17. No evidence, but there are too many industries that depend on the criminalization of marijuana. Private prisons, plastics corporations, drug testing companies, and of course the cartels. These industries lobby the government and officials, and these officials in turn do their best to make sure it stays criminalized.

People are slowly learning, though, what bullshit it is that weed is a) a schedule 1 drug and b) criminalized at all.

18. Watch this shit get amended now.