LST

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by joey.boothby024, Apr 7, 2017.

1. So I started a new experiment with the LST technique, the plant I used was a mikado clone I rescued from massive nute burn, after a flush and strictly water diet she bounced right back!! From the start she was already kind of stringy, thin and really pliable making her ideal for LST(from my research). Before starting the LST I did top once which caused an explosion in the under growth and producing many more off shoots I was able to manipulate, after a quick count I have 15 possible cola sites!! But I'm now left wondering A. have I over done it? lol B. When transplanting how much of an issue is it going to be? Just a simple unfastening an retying to new pot or was it wrong to start before I transplanted to final pot?
    Tried to get every side of plant in pics..any input appreciated.. I am very new to growing all together but I understand this can maximize yield potential so I gave it a whirl haha[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G530R4 using Tapatalk

2. The point of lst is basically to keep the plant short with an even canopy. This is usually done by tying the plant down when its young. That way the upper growth and lower growth are at the same height (here's a pic of one I'm just starting it on gradually)
    IMG_20170407_153901.jpg

You have the lower growth tied down, but not the upper growth, which kind of defeats the major benefit of it. Seeing as theres so little tension on the string anyways id doubt transplanting it would be an issue.

3. I have all the way up to the main two tops tied down since they were already growing apart

4. I do see what you mean, I started it on a clone tho it was already probably a foot tall nervous about bending the main stock, I was hoping I could just pull the lower sites out and up and level with the top

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gotta start it real early otherwise you can snap the stem doing it that way, so you were right not to force it.
    The way you're doing it is indeed helping to spread the plant out a bit (compared to not doing any lst at least), but since you mentioned wanting to maximize yield figured I'd suggest it.

6. Right I appreciate it! I did catch that I should start from seedling but I went the clone route this time (much to my dissapointment with my local nursery)

7. So I have a younger clone that may be better? With the idea of following your suggestion I began to bend the top growth down so I can attempt to bend lower growth around in the circular pattern I saw in pics(I topped this one before as well)[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. So here's day two shot, lol I was able to bend her a little further down an as you can see there is already new growth that will soon need manipulating...which direction should I go or does it matter? And my plan is to alternate sides with each new growth which seemed obvious to me? Anyways what ya think guys?[​IMG]

9. And I didn't mean new growth I meant the growth behind the main top my bad guys

10. Do it however you want from this point, looks good!

11. Some strains don't do that well if you try to branch them too much. My sensi star grows too thick to let branch that much. I'm going to do a single cola next time and maybe do a single bend in it so I get 4-5 tops.

There is an amazing difference in growth pattern between strains. Generally IMO thinner stemmed more stretchy growing plants do better with training or are at least easier to work with by far. Thicker growing strains require extensive thinning out of the canopy if you top and train a lot or they get choked out for light penetration.

12. Do you have a pic?

13. A few weeks ago. She's a hot mess. lol. I've removed so many tops and branches. It's still choked. I'm changing the water and putting GH florakleen in now. Maybe I'll grab a new pic. It's an ugly plant but smells so good, very minty and skunky. It's the best smelling plant I've grown.
    [​IMG]

14. Holy shit! I hadn't even considered anything that bad happeneing! I was on a mission for as many as possible but I see I should probably take it a little slower then huh?

15. I also have no idea how this gg#4 clone is going to grow and am already of little experience haha this could be intresting though

16. It depends on the strain. My blue dream doesn't have those thick reachy fan and sugar leaves with the thick stems that are so hard to move apart so it tolerates having more tops better .

17. How far into flowering that star are you?

18. Other strains I've grown even if they had that many tops they would just grow taller and you could train them apart from each other then lollipop from the bottom until it's just the right thickness in the canopy. This sensi star doesn't stretch much vertically at all and has super tight nodes. It makes a mess out of the middle of the canopy. Other strains I've grown have been like LST easy mode and I've hardly had to do anything but bend them over and stand back.

The blue dream cross I have has been like that. There's not even any string on it yet. I'm waiting until I get it in the bud room then I'm going to stretch it wide.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. The star is about 9 weeks right now. I think it was 7 in that pic.