LRII Greenhouse Winter Grow

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by JohanSmith, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Hey folks,

This is one of my first posts. I've been growing a single LRII now for about a month (slightly over a month since it peaked out of the soil) and would like to get your opinions! And, yes, this is my first grow (hence LRII).

It's currently winter where I live (Southwestern USA) and we've had some fairly stormy weather for the past month (hence lack of direct sunlight). For the past few days, however, it's been about 80-degrees in the greenhouse with direct sunlight from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. (approx. 8 hours a day).

This has been quite fun, and I have this baby tucked in the corner of the G-house.

The plant is certainly not growing like an indoor CFL grow... Anyone have experience with winter greenhouse growing? Does the growth happen to be longer than a CFL-flooded indoor grow?

I have a feeling, since the light is just so short, that this is just gonna be one stunted little guy! I can't complain, however, as this is my first grow.

Thanks for readin'! Any suggestions appreciated.

I'm also going to start a grow journal.

Soil: Miracle Grow 3-month Nutes Potting Mix (I know, har-har -- next time I'll be using some of my homemade organic compost)
    Pot: Just switched from half-gallon to 2-gallon (cut half-gal off and replanted)

Attached Files:

2. One more thing:

This picture was taken W/O direct sunlight at about 4:30 p.m. (but as you can see, it's still quite light out). Anyone know if this level of light shown -- not direct light, but still bright -- is comparable to CFLs?

G-house growing (especially in winter) seems to be quite a bit harder than CFL growing.

Thanks!

3. Its the soil. The light is fine and in fact is only getting longer now, so as for veg growth you should be doing very well.

4. I believe it is the short photoperiod that is retarding the plant's growth. I had two seeds that I started outdoors in Nov. they stayed out there for about a month and they just weren't getting big. I put them in my grow box and in a week they had doubled in size and the color improved.

I suspect your plants will veg until they just can't any more and put on flowers in early summer. Since the days are still long there will (I suspect) be a lot of leaf and loose buds.

That pesky light requirement that MJ has can be a real bitch.

5. Thanks for the replies, guys. I went ahead and put them in a grow box this eve =]

6. correct its the long nights right now.. lol i also planted som lowryders they look like your but a lil bigger.. but the days are getting longer so you should be ok

7. Really? Everytime I've overwintered plants in my bay window, I never had a single growth problem past the winter solstice. Daylight hours get longer and longer after this point and therefore create a VERY long veg time which = HUGE plants that need a good hardening off before being set out. Ditch the manufactured soil...can't HURT ANYTHING for pete's sake.

8. Thanks for the reply, Guru.

Next time I do it -- I'll start AFTER the winter solstice, not 1 month before.

I did switch the plant to indoor growing =] It's.... GROWING!

Now I just need to figure out the whole fan/exhaust thing =}-- ~~