Lowryder 2 CFL first-timer's grow. Lots of Pics!

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Tim t'Enchanter, May 30, 2009.

1. Hey man looks like you're set up and ready to grow . I'm looking forward to seeing your mini-bushes in a few weeks . Good luck .

2. Do you have a plan for a different fertilizer strength when you go into flowering in a few weeks?

3. Thanks man, glad to have your interest!

Nope. These are actually flowering ferts, but because it's an auto it's almost flowering already. It should be well into flowering by the end of this week.

4. Update time!:D

Today I transplanted Plankton, as she's almost 3 weeks and should be needing the space.
    First of all I mixed up some ferts, they're 2-2-6 tomato ferts with calcium and magnesium. She was starting to yellow on the fan leaves, and the cotyledons have almost completely shriveled.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I should have done all this yesterday, but I had a mate visiting so we just ended up getting blazed.:smoking: It was actually the guy I got my light off, but I guess that's irrelevant here.
    Anyway back to this morning. After I fed Plankton and gave Patty a drink, I proceeded to make my mix for the new pot. I'm still just using 50/50 peatmoss and perlite. I watered it thoroughly and let it stand in the sunshine for one and a half hours. Then I brought it upstairs, made a hollow and popped her in! The roots were nice bright white, showing around the sides but not totally rootbound. She seems happy enough so far. The weather here is fantastic at the moment, temps in the cabinet reached 28 C yesterday afternoon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's all for now! So we're all up to date!

5. still lookin happy bro!!! :D:hello:

6. nice plants :hello:

if you want you can put the CFLs even closer, dont want em to stretch :smoking:

7. i was thinking ,this might be better put in the[​IMG] but since the plants are autos its like all the normal stuff like the bottom leaves browning out and so forth are happening at an acelerated rate so what would take place on a normal plant at 2 months old is happening at 3 weeks on your autos maybe bullshit but there might be something to it.

8. Yup, I'm hoping she'll really take off now!

Thanks bro, I'm still waiting on my fan, this cfl actually produces a fair bit of heat. I've moved them up by around 2 inches since the pics were taken but I'm not going to raise them any more until I've a breeze on them. A little stretch is ok, I've tons of headroom, and I'm always here so if I need to stake them at any stage I can.

Hey bud, I thought about putting it in there but frankly I prefer the layout of these pages. I have links to it in two of the threads on there, so it's represented anyway.

I was thinking about the accelerated yellowing etc, but I reckon it's mostly my lack of experience. I'd already do so much differently if I could go back in time ;).
    Still, that's what a first grow is all about!

Thanks for the encouragement everyone!

9. ah didnt know they produced lots of heat. anyway, plants are looking good keep it up man

10. Most CFL's don't, I don't know what's up with this type. As I said the guy who originally owned them called down yesterday and he said he kept 'em at 10-12 inches because he kept getting burns. He had it in a cupboard with no venilation whatsoever though.

11. not the type, just the wattage. The small ones produce a lil heat as well bet the large ones show it easier cuz there more energy being burned. If ya had enuff lil ones to equal the wattage, the total heat would be similar but just spread out more making it a bit easier to deal wit I always used 4 big ones like you have in my veg room and the heat was pretty significent but I had plenty of circulation.

12. Listen to this man, he is on to something :cool:

So glad that you decided to start a Grow Journal time. What a response you have had so far! This should be an interesting journal :D

I really like your choice of strain. I am considering the very same strain for my next grow. Did you get them from The Attitude? If not (and you don't mind saying), where from?

From all of the pictures, etc., it appears you are on the right track. When you can, I would get a desk fan going in there. It doesn't need to be anything fancy. I picked up a $4 desk fan from Wal-mart (it was the very cheapest they had) and it worked fantastically for both of my grows. Do you not have access to power? I wouldn't go with a battery operated one unless you have to because it is going to be running all the time and the batteries won't last.

Keep up the good work! I will definitely be watching your grow :D

13. I hear ya. Getting a circulation fan is #1 priority ATM. I'm going to town tomorrow so I'll see what I can get. Most places round here charge ridiculous prices for fans though.

Hey Bud, nice to see ya!
    The battery operated fan was just a little experiment, it was so cheap I thought it might do until I got a chance to get a proper one. No such luck, but at least it's only €2 down the drain.
    I have no problem telling you where I got my seeds, because I bought them over the counter at my local grow shop. €70 (should have been €75) for 5 femmed. That's about a 100% mark-up on the online price, but it's a lot less hassle so I was willing to pay. If I had got mixed seeds father than fems they would have been €60.
    There are three shops in my nearest town that sell seeds, the growshop I mentioned and two headshops. I have 5 femmed El Nino (GSC) that I got from one headshop too, those were €27. So you know what I'll be growing next.

Thanks for looking in!

14. Hey Tim :wave:

Looking good so far! I am so jealous that you can walk into a local shop and get seeds. Oh how I would love to move to Holland heh I have family there, so it could be doable, but couldn't leave my family here. I can dream tho :rolleyes:

I will definately be keeping an eye on your babies!

I also took new pics of Snowy & Bashful today, so on to my journal for a few :smoking:

15. Wow, very cool that you can buy seeds locally :eek:

That is something we can't do here in the states. All of our seeds come from online, or illicitly unfortunately.

Glad to hear everything is working well for you thus far. Keep up the good work!

16. what do you mean by "1/4 strength" when you are giving nutes ? is that mean 250 mililiters nutes in 1 liter water or something else ? sorry, i am confused about this.

hoknuf :confused:

17. It's 1/4 the recommended strength. So if you normally would use 4 teaspoons per gallon, you would only use 1 teaspoon per gallon.

18. Hey StarBaby,
    Nice to see you! Guess today's a good day for friends to visit!
    Being able to buy seeds whenever is really great, and if it can't be legal at least this is some consolation.
    Holland is awesome, I go to Amsterdam every year, usually in November because it's a shitty month here in Ireland, all rain and no public holidays. I've been to Eindhoven too, and I'd love to see more of the country, but the hotel owner in Amsterdam is so nice and gives me a great deal, so I always just end up going back to him!

Nice to hear you've new pics, I'll be checking them out soon!

Yeah, I hear certain states are very anti-weed. Maybe that will change in time, but I just don't see it happening.
    On a seperate note, I may move to China next year and I'll have to be really careful over there. To be honest, I can't see myself growing there. Hopefully I'll get a hookup.

19. Thanks for fielding this one Sativa! I was still responding to the others.

Yes, 1/4 strength means diluted to 25% of what the label says is feeding strength.
    My ferts say to use 30ml with 7 litres of water :eek: but I just put 1 drop (approx 1ml) into 500ml which is actually closer to 1/2 strength. Only watered with about 30 to 40 ml of that, the rest is still sitting in the bottle.

I may have to pick up something with more N though, she's still looking a bit yellow. She's growing a bit faster now that she's got more room too.

Hope that answers your question Hoknuf! Thanks for looking in.

How long can I use pre-mixed ferts for? I made that batch up yesterday, and its in a cool, dry cupboard out of direct sunlight. I have no problem throwing it away if it's gone bad, but I don't see why it should?

20. Dang! I hope you don't have to move to China. Ireland seems like much better countryside then China!!