lower leaves brown and crispy

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by sfvog, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Hello. I'm growing using the scrog method, 5 weeks into flowering(soil). All of the new growth is green and doing well. Many of the lowest leaves under the canopy are turning brown, crispy and falling off. Could this be a nutrient/watering problem, or is it just because they aren't getting enough light due to a thick canopy? I water/feed on a regular schedule, and never over-fertilize or over-water (or under-feed/under-water). It is happening to the lowest leaves on each branch. I've included a picture of the overall setup. Thanks for any ideas

Attached Files:

2. This is very common during flower. Its either over or under fert. What do you feed it, how much, how often?

3. #3 janemba, Jan 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2010
    this is usually due to lack of light, also, old leaves die. i wouldnt worry about it unless it becomes worse.
    if it progresses, it could be a moble/ macro nutrient deficiency (n-p-k) most likely phosporus causing necrosis (death and decay)
    looks good, nice work

4. Thanks for the responses. I am fertilizing with Foxfarm's Tiger Bloom and Big Bloom. Tiger Bloom is 2-8-4 and Big Bloom is 0.01-0.3-0.7. I fertilize about once a week using 2 teaspoons Tiger Bloom per gallon water and 1 tablespoon Big Bloom per gallon water. Between fertilizings, i water once with pure water. I pH adjust the water and fertilizer solution to 6.5. Does this sound good? By the way, the light is 250W HPS. the cabinet is about 5 square feet.

5. #5 janemba, Jan 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2010
    i dont use fox farm i dont really like it, so i wouldnt know, whats ur ppm?

6. I dont test ppm, I'm growing in soil. What are the best nutrients/fertilizers? This is my second grow so I just bought the foxfarm cause thats what the hydro store guy suggested. I am going to start hydro (bubble bucket) after this harvest.

7. Yeah sounds good. I like fox farm as do a lot of people here. As long as the general health of your plants are good I wouldn't worry about it too much.