Low stress training (First Indoor Grow)

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by bobanis, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Hey everyone, just started to flower these beauties 2 days ago and i was looking at them and noticed if i spread out the tops there is way more nodes in the middle not getting enough light that could make a couple of more colas! I don't have any experience with LST but is it okay to start training them when i just started to flower? There are no signs of sex yet and im guessing they will still stretch a good bit

LST 2.jpg LST jan 13.jpg

2. Well I don’t see why not but some seem a little small to really work around at the moment. You could always strip the smaller one off so that more energy will go to the bigger tops. Giving you more size and weight potentially.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  3. It’s best practice (imo) to not induce any stress while the plants are undergoing their preflower stretch. Any stress during stretch will retard/slow the stretch and you’ll end up with very short plants.

“Tyranny anywhere is a threat to freedom everywhere.” — someone awesome

• Like Like x 2
  4. Another question, if i only started 12/12 for 3 days, could i switch back to 16 hours of daylight until they recover? Also these are bag seeds, i wanted to learn off them so when i buy proper seeds i have some experience on what to do. I'd hate to see them turn out worse than they should but they are kind of an experiment since its my first indoor grow!

5. If you switch back to veg after 3 days, you may cause the plants to hermie. I would at least wait until they show sex before you revert back to veg

6. nope. I stress my plants out muchly during transition. I lay my trellis, I try to cut off all the lower stuff the next day, and the next few days after its twisting, cutting, shaping, etc. Here's one from yesterday, i think three days now in flower:
    DSCF2362.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  7. Thank you! I'll keep it 12/12 and hope for the best! I know for next time :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Dude if you plan on finishing your plants in those tiny little containers, I don’t know if it would be wise to veg them longer to try and get more tops. If you are growing in soil, you may be limited on how big those plants are going to get

9. Growing in promix HP with about 10% castings added. Lol!! I was thinking those containers were too damn big, my goal was to try and get a bushy 2 foot plant, they're almost there so i'm sure they will get bigger than i expected after the stretch.

I have some 7 gallon and 10 gallon pots i used for my outdoor, for the closet size i thought i'd stick to 3 gallon.

10. Okay trojangrower does have a point and I need to retract some of what I said because I do extensive lollipopping and pruning during stretch. Just don’t top or FIM your plants while they are in stretch. That needs to happen in veg

• Like Like x 1
  11. Good. ProMix is the shit.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Promix will run out of lime so watch out for your runoff ph in flower. It can get deadly acidic, I've seen it as low as 4.0. If you do transplant, add some dolomite lime to the mixture.

I do a limited amount of topping... have just been testing some results, ie. topped at the start of flower due to length. Its a bit experimental... so I don't advise this either (atm).

• Like Like x 1
  13. #13 bobanis, Jan 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    I check my PH and PPM everytime i water, as well as the run off. When i start to see problems i'll make sure i fix it! So far the water coming out the promix is the same ph as i put in, and i put in anywhere from 5.8-6.5 depending on how much nutes i give, never had to change the PH of my nutes, advanced nutrients does it for me.

I learned from my outdoor grow that had PH problems because i didn't get a ph meter or have any nutes at all until the last 2-3 weeks of flower, had the odd deficiency in veg and once the lime ran out i noticed a few more deficiencies in flower but she still made it somehow. My experience from having problems with my outdoor helped this indoor a bunch. Seeing no spidermites, deficiencies, or nute burn on these indoor bushes makes me so happy, my outdoor had a good bit of spidermites throughout veg that took some work and lots of neem to get rid of before they flowered.

14. yur on it!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Well if you are having any runoff that means you are the one who is causing PH issues. You shouldn't have any runoff when growing organic. Otherwise minerals thats leaching out with water will cause your soil to get acidic

16. Thanks for the tip but i never said i was growing organic lol, i did my research i heard 10-20% runoff when feeding nutes to peat moss is normal. Seems to be working as you can see from the health of the leaves!

Also funny you mention, when i had PH problems on my outdoor grow in the same promix i just gave it water without nutes and actually didn't get any run off because i didn't know what i was doing until near the end of flower when i finally decided to water until there was runoff but at that point it didn't make a difference because it was near the end and there was no build up of salts from nutes since i never gave it any.

17. Then that means you are growing in wrong substrate. Since you are feeding salt based nutrients you are killing everything in your soil thats gonna break down organic matter. So you are not benefiting from that ProMix in any way. You could grow in coco and get faster grow rate.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Thanks! I definetly want to try growing in coco, i have a buddy who does the same way of feeding with promix and uses remo nutes, his outdoor plants were 10+ feet, bushier than ever and just healthy as can be throughout its whole grow! So far its working great for this indoor grow so i'll keep doing what i'm doing?

Also note that the only reason i bought Promix HP was because that buddy recommended it, i didn't know anything about the soil types and what they do back then but i've learned lots since then. I figured i might as well use the rest of my promix, when it comes time to buy more i might get some coco to try

19. I didn't tell you to change anything. I was just explaining how stuff works according to basic biology. The fact that plant is growing healthy in less than optimum conditions doesn't mean anything. Thats weed, you could grow it in a wet mop if you wanted to. So.. yeah.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. #20 bobanis, Jan 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    I joined this forum to get tips and learn more, i'm still a beginner lol! Thanks! The closet isn't the most optimum condition for sure haha but i make sure they get lots of fresh air and the humidity and temps have been perfect the whole grow! right now its averaging 37-45 humidity without the humidifier on and the temps range from 21-24.5 Celsius.