low pressure sodium lighting

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by nitechild, Aug 28, 2009.

1. hey,...im new to growing. and this is pretty much just a curiosity question. i've heard of people using HPS Lighting when flowering. my question is, how about low pressure sodium lights? personally, i havent heard of these before a few days ago. i was doing a search for HSPs and ran across these. what exactly are they, and are they worth trying out?

2. i know that road construction crews use lps for street lighting because its so energy efficient.(even more efficient than HPS) thats what you see on the side of highways at night. and if the benefits are half as good as hps i would definetly do it. but where can you find a lps light fixture? how much do they cost? do they put out the same color spectrum you need to grow? you might have to call an electrical supply warehouse to see if you can buy one there.... google em see if you can find some info....

3. Stick with CFL's or a HPS

-C

4. I'm biased I lean to HPS all the way. I've had success with CFL's too.

5. check out my grow #2. you can see 150w of cfl in action in a mini-fridge. i would go hps or cfl. i dont think they are worth the hassle or else there would be more info on them. i was able to find this link that has a spectum chart for several different light types and from the spectrum of the LPS bul it would not be a good growing light

The Low Pressure Sodium Lamp

[​IMG]

i also found this link where a guy described the use of LPS in growing marijuana. i however do not know his background or credibility but from what the spectrum chart shows i would say hes close.

Low Pressure Sodium??? - Cannabis Forums Message Boards - Medical Marijuana, Cannabis Club, Dispensary, News

posted by billyjojimbob11:

Low pressure sod or mercury vapor lights have a very high luminous efficiency, even higher than HPS/MH. However, the light is monochromatic and is centered at 590nm which is absolutley perfect for the human eyeball (lumens) however, with very little blue and red light within the spectrum of LPS, the usefulness for growing is virtually 0, actually an equal wattage of incandecent light would do most likely better in flowering than a lps.