low cost grow setup

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by im old greg, Apr 4, 2008.

1. alright everyone,
    ive read through lots of setup ideas and pointers. ive got an apartment with some spare room that i want to start hopefully 2-3 plants in. i dont have anything at this point for the later stages in the plant life. i have some rooting hormone becuase i would prefer to use cuttings. i have liquid and powder stuff, any word on which is better? i also have a bunch of peet pots to start them in. i have a box fan to provide the ventilation. im hoping to just be able to basically grow them with maybe a little more effort than i would a normal plant. my hope is to grow and brew beer while im in college and hopefully be self sufficient...you know? any help on lighting ideas and basically a list of what i need to get to have a basic setup. illbe getting filthy rich potting soil becuase that is what they sell at freddy's. another big question of mine is, how is the spell going to be off of 2-3 plants. will it be neccessary to get a carbon filter and all that or will it just smell like im constantly smoking bud? if it wont be unbearable or sketchy i think i can just deal. any help will get great.

2. First.....YA GOTTA HAVE ODOR CONTROL !! especially in an apt. It doesnt have to be big bux....for less than $50 you can get the parts at Home dePot and use Ultra Pearls (NOT clay) kitty litter instead of carbon. You can pick up a 150hps for $39 here : http://www.e-conolight.com/Product/EProductDetail.asp?ProductFamilyID=3&FGNumber=E-HC1H151Z
    Best to use a box or converted dresser to more easily control air and odor. Then set a 10" pot of potting mix in a tray with an inch of standing nutes and away ya go............it IS that easy.

krly

3. I agree with krly.

Unless you want to get busted, you need to put them in a cab and utilize some odor control. Pot Stinks.

As far as lights, you will definitely need supplemental lighting. CFL's work great for a small first grow.

4. thanks for the pointers. whats the reason for the standing nuts in the tray

5. YEA I know exactly what you mean. Im in a similiar situation. However I just grow in my closet (apt.) No odor control, I only have 1 neighbor on my floor and it never smells until you get in the apt, thats rarely though. If your using 1 closet how do you plan on splitting into 2 or more rooms?

I grow all CFLS and floro tubes. They're pretty cheap..t12 tubes and CFLs. check my grows (Sig) for more info I'm way too high right now. Just remember, when you start seedlings you want soil without nutrients or it will burn them, it doesn't take much. Search around the forums, most of the info is around....

I've really been wanting to brew some beer saw some Good Eats on it. Never really did any research or anything though. Definitely let me know if you start. :hello:

6. Old Greg, "standing nutes" as in you don't water from the top. Just pour in a n inch and plant will suck-up what it needs/wants.
    krly

7. alright of heard of that method but never knew it had a name. thanks. and "the pot" ill definately let you know when i start the brewing right now im waiting on money to get a big metal pot to cook it. thanks for the advice guys, im waiting on some seeds from a buddy and then ill be starting with my adventure. ill figure out how to add pics and stuff as i go. cheers!