Coronavirus COVID-19 Love in the Time of the Corona Virus

Discussion in 'General' started by Superjoint, Mar 17, 2020.

?

How long ,do you think, before the coronavirus pandemic will fade?

Poll closed Apr 7, 2020.
  1. A few weeks

39 vote(s)
    15.0%
  2. A few Months

128 vote(s)
    49.2%
  3. At least until next year

79 vote(s)
    30.4%
  4. Several years

14 vote(s)
    5.4%
  1. Maybe...Higher temperatures in what setting? Lab settings where they control the temperature to levels not normally seen inside actual homes or work places? Maybe it won't spread as much from door handles, but it will still continue to spread from people, which is the main vector.

2. Anyone find it odd that places like Walmart are banning sales on seeds? You can’t plant a garden because they deemed seeds non essential.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. I'm wondering about clothes and shoes. We are not allowed to buy them in a supermarket - among many other things. We've had the lockdown now for 3 weeks and it will continue at least another 3 weeks. Surely people will have some needs for new clothes? Kids growing so quickly and all. Online sales work, but deliveries are a bit of a problem at the moment. Also not everyone can buy online.

Well, and obviously no seeds, soil, pots or any gardening stuff available.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Menards, big hardware store in the Midwest, is checking temperatures of people before they go in. If you have one, you’re not allowed in.

Also, many places are banning people under 16 from going in their businesses. Menards isone of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

5. Found a nice doable anti-Covid tip on a long (but mostly "readable" :biggrin:) Chinese, US, UK and Italian study on how Covid does its damage -

COVID-19 infection: the perspectives on immune responses COVID-19 infection: the perspectives on immune responses

So, remember that bottle of Niacin you got for that urine test long ago? Time to dig it out of the medicine cabinet. It may prevent some of the lung damage that Covid causes. (FYI- bleomycin can cause lung injuries similar to Covid)

"It is important to mention that various studies have shown that in animal models with bleomycin-induced lung injury, vitamin B3 (niacin or nicotinamide) is highly effective in preventing lung tissue damage. It might be a wise approach to supply this food supplement to the COVID-19 patients."

So it's unproven in humans, but looks very promising in animal studies, is easily available and safe.

Just remember, too much niacin may cause "hot flashes" :oops: and will color your urine bright neon yellow. The "B" vitamins are water soluble, which means your body (ideally) grabs what it needs from your food and dumps any excess in your urine to get rid it.

But the modern diet sucks (more than usual lately), Covid is here, and niacin supplements are very cheap. :coolalt: However, unless you are actually sick and want to flood your body with niacin as a possible lung protectant, taking more than the recommended dose is like flushing money down the toilet. Most multi vitamins have niacin in them, so you likely have some already.

Granny :wave:

• Like Like x 2
  6. You're right but something like smoking every day will put you at a much higher risk of death. And it is definitely targeting some people over others. No one is 100% safe but your a lot safer if both you and your lungs are healthy.

7. Yes, smoking does. Even without the coronavirus it does. I would say about 97% of the people I see that come in for MI smoke. Any kind of underlying health problem makes you a higher risk on your best day.

8. Two things about this thread so far: (1) The survey on how long anybody thinks it might last should be made into a betting pool. Smart money says Trump will push to re-start things and a 2nd, more devastating wave of infections will paralyze the country until at least Christmas. (2) It certainly makes tobacco smoking riskier, but "smoking" as a "risk" generally speaking has not really changed, due to the new corona-virus. Inhaling marijuana, either vaping or combusted is not the same as taking a drag off a cigarette, in lung effect terms. There are studies indicating cannabis has the opposite effect in the alveoli. The jury is still out, but again, I'll bet, after it's all said and done, we find out weed smokers fared better overall.

It is actually shown to increase your lung capacity.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Smoking anything isn't really going to have an opposite effect on the lung's capacity for gas exchange. It may not be as severe as a cigarette (phew), but it will still have some effect. And, in that particular sense, weed smokers will fare better unless they're heavy smokers. Still probably not the level as cigarettes again, but more smoking equates to more possible injury.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Maybe you didn't read the study. Or perhaps you could just state which part of it you disagree with and why. Or you could just continue expressing un-substantiated opinions. Your call.

11. Yes, I read that study. And nowhere in that study does it state that cannabis has an opposite effect on the alveoli, which is the part of your statement I disagree with. You can go back and look at the tables for summaries of the multiple peer reviewed studies that made up that article. For that study, in of itself, wasn't a study at all. It merely took various others and compared them to one another. Smoking, regardless of what it is, will always be bad for the lungs. Will long term cannabis use by as dangerous for you as cigarettes? No. Is it safe? Well, I guess that depends on what you define as safe. I don't express un-substantiated opinions for any particular reason. All of the combined date is there to read, but the conclusion sums it all up, which is why I left there here instead of quoting all of the various things within said article.

"This review clearly shows that chronic marijuana smoking is associated with respiratory symptoms and increase in FVC. The mechanisms for these effects and the differences from the effects of tobacco remain unclear. More work needs to accurately measure cannabis use as well as measure all aspects of respiratory health, particularly breathlessness and exercise tolerance. More importantly, however, there needs to be larger, longer-term studies with marijuana smokers who do not smoke tobacco.

There is clear evidence that marijuana causes similar symptoms to tobacco smoking (chronic bronchitis) and produces similar large airway pathological features. There is some evidence that the combination of tobacco and marijuana is additive. Tobacco unequivocally causes chronic airflow obstruction and COPD but only in a minority of smokers. Cannabis smoking, however, produces an increase in FVC and the reason(s) for this are unclear and require elucidation. Taking a more detailed history with regard to cannabis smoking and other illicit inhalational drugs should be part of the standard respiratory assessment of all patients, which would also support better epidemiological data collection for future studies, particularly in the primary care population."

12. Did you mis the definition of "FVC," or what?

13. OBTW, for those paying attention, I asked what part(s) of the study you disagreed with. I could not possibly care less about your agree-ability with me.

14. Yawn. The study just basically reiterated what I said. Increased FVC for cannabis smokers is = to someone who doesn't smoke. Nothing really to see.

Carry on click bait.

15. Would you mind pointing out where it says this in the study - I can't find it:
    I'm not yawning. Try reading when not heavily sedated.

16. Of course news stories aren't Science. When it's come to stuff like this, I have been researching it. Many viruses tend to be less contageous in hot environments, but to say whether that'll happen with the COVID-19 virus we will have to see. There's always scientific evidence that the virus tends to go away under certain heat in food and in other forms, so who's to say there isn't potential at the heat affecting it on surfaces or airborne? Am I/anyone is 100% sure? Not yet cause it isn't summer, but at the same time, I wouldn't dismiss that as a stupid opinion/thought given the trend of past flus/viruses.

See now clothes and shoes makes sense because people can touch, use, wear, etc. on clothes before buying it. That makes sense to me. Any innocent person could of bought something that has some of the virus on it potentially. As for gardening stuff, I don't get why seeds aren't an option. I can somewhat understand already grown plants and pots, but seeds? That doesn't make sense to me.

17. Let's just hope it hasn't learned to mutate faster than ever seen before.

18. Maybe there is some potential, but to suggest that this will happen with Covid 19 is just too early. There are literally thousands of virus' out in the world. Take MERS for example. 2012, in September and in Saudi Arabia. Plenty hot there that time of year, and MERS was the second such novel Coronavirus we'd encountered with SARS being the first. To say many viruses are less contagious in the heat simply isn't true. A seasonal virus? Sure, most of the time. It's just entirely too early to tell if this will fit into the mold of a seasonal virus whereas MERS didn't, and neither did SARS. I hope everyone is right, and I'm wrong. I work with this everyday, and no one wants this to be over more than I do with maybe a few exceptions. I just don't get my hopes up for something brand new jumping from animals to people and killing thousands.

19. I get your point about clothes. Selling them could be limited somehow that only basics and they would be in packed.
    No seeds because all but essential shops are closed. Right now I'd need a little planting tool, but cannot buy it anywhere, the shops that sell them are closed. I keep bumping into funny problems now, it took me a week to figure out where and how to get a needle an thread for fixing my sofa cushions. I would have bought new ones, but..... Amazon works, but deliveries can be a bit problematic. Well, at least there is a good chance I am home when the delivery guy calls :)