Losing weight with bad knees ?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by Ultramaxx, Aug 26, 2021.

1. Most of my weight loss was from restricting unnecessary calories. So much of my joint pain dissipated when the weight finally went down. Good luck.

• Like Like x 2
  2. THE BATTLE OF THE BULGE, or just trying to be healthier & more pain free. My Cardiologist told me he wanted me to get my heart rate up to my "zone" for an hour daily. Shit I can do that by sitting in the hot tub while "meditating" with a cocktail & joint. the back & forth from the hot tub to pool (hot then cold) helps with inflammation too. Lot's of stretching helps with the old aches/pains. That snap/crackle/pop aint your rice crispies anymore. Sound advice from the new king of "pop" . app 70 lbs down since covid.:rave-girl:

• Like Like x 1
  3. #23 michakemo, Nov 9, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2022
    A lot of walks and a proper diet will make the job. Clean Bulking Meal Plan For Building Lean Muscle - ask a professional to write you a proper meal plan and you not gonna need to do much exercises. The most important rule here - consume less calories than your burn.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Wow I can eat less food and see no weight loss.
    Still dealing with knee pain and can’t lose weight.

5. almost no one will do it but keeping a journal of what goes in your pie hole can help tremendously IF you do it, I couldn't.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. 15 years ago I weighed 260lbs, both my knees had already worn out and been replaced, and my feet had been hurting for years. I tried to lose weight by controlling what I ate but evidently I don't have enough self control for that. By accident I discovered that if I didn't eat anything from morning to evening I didn't really get hungry but if I ate anything it would stimulate my appetite so now I eat absolutely nothing from morning to evening then anything I want. Now I'm 180lbs and my feet no longer hurt, I eat as much of anything I want, and my weight's been stable for at least 5 years. It's easy and I don't have to worry over watching what I eat or how many calories are in a quart of ice cream.

I guess my feet do hurt a little when I'm on them a lot so I may have exaggerated yet again.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Knee pain ='s less mobility ='s less calories burned. Now if you had dental pain like me & it hurt to eat ='s less calories consumed. I have a theory, old(ER) folks metabolism just changes somewhere along the line?

8. Food is the worst drug. If you can just put it off till evening you can be a pretty healthy full blown addict.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Glad it works for you. I've given & been given ALOT of wt loss "advice" over the years but not eating for 4-12 hrs was NEVER part of any plan I did. If you ever kept a wood stove imagine that is your metabolism. you want to keep it hot & burning (calories) 24/7, starving yourself makes your metab burn slowly. my 2 cents.

10. And I'm glad all the advice you've been given has worked for you. I believe in doing what works but education doesn't help us lose weight. We all know we should eat healthy and exercise so what advice could you give a person who's tried to lose weight for years but can't? Eat healthy and exercise? Breakfast is the most important meal of the day?

Unlike a wood stove, our bodies are able to store energy until we need it and if we didn't have plenty of stored energy we wouldn't be talking about how to lose it. To lose weight we have to tap into that stored energy somehow, I've found my way but I admit it may not work for everyone, it may not even work for most of us. It damn sure won't work for those who don't try it for whatever reason.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. I like that. Delayed gratification is key to being a functional addict.

• Like Like x 1
  12. CAN'T isn't in my vocabulary, try won't.

13. I went from 220 to 160 in a year and feel like a millon bucks.

Dont complicate things, KISS. Less Calories in- more calories out = weight loss

Stop eating out, I cook all of my food at home now and eat clean. It was the Double Baconators at Wendy's that got to me...

• Like Like x 1
  14. No ! I am a cyclist it is very easy on the knees with a proper bike setup and fitting....

15. I've always said the same but when dealing with compulsions we Won't because we Can't. Overeating is often a compulsion for many of us and we don't have physical control over our compulsions by definition.

But you may be right, maybe not eating during the day wasn't what allowed me to lose weight, maybe my age is why I don't get hungry until I eat something. No one should think because something works for me, it will also work for them. But, if a person won't try it, it can't work for them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Can't imo similar to "impossible" projects that "impossibility" into the future. if that were true manKIND never would have made it to the moon. You know what they say about free advice, it's worth every penny spent. & bad advice that you payed $ for is worse.

17. Eat less = weigh less is pretty much historically proven; seasonal shortages, wars, “potato” sorts of famines, prison camps,,, anywhere there was less food, folk lost weight… Nothing has changed,,, eat less = weigh less…

18. I don't really understand why they say that, some of the best advice is free. Come to think of it, I don't think I've given anyone advice on how to lose weight, I've only explained how I did.

I agree that cycling isn't hard on knees but IME after you get to bone on bone from any reason your cycling career is over. Cycling may not cause knees to disintegrate but after they do, the only thing that'll fix them is replacement .

• Like Like x 1
  19. IDK either Ed. That saying was written way before my time, & carved into stone before yours? A recumbant type bike helped me. swimming is #1 in my book if able. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. No argument there, once you knees get bad there isn't much you can do. Running is great, but years of constant impact on the knees can bite you later in lifre.

I had major knee surgery and (ACL recontruction, Ski Accident) and cycling was great for my recovery. I can ride a century (100 miles in a day) now and am 55 years old.

Riding a bike burns off a LOT of calories ! A 5 hour ride can burn up to 4000-5000 calories easily. (eat a whole pizza and your still losing weight!

• Like Like x 1