Losing weight with bad knees ?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by Ultramaxx, Aug 26, 2021.

1. When you can’t do much cardio ?? Or lift weights due to bicep tear how do you lose weight??
    I’ve tried to eating less , less fried foods all I do is gain weight . Stopped drinking iced coffees to regular coffee….

2. It's odd that eating less isn't translating to weight loss. That's how mostly I did it.

All the best.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Stationary bike or swimming ?

• Like Like x 2
  4. #4 topazann, Sep 30, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
    I lost 54kg with no exercise. None. I sat on my ass and ate better. I've since added in exercise, but that's a separate thing from losing weight. You've got to fix your relationship with food.
    Calculate what you should be eating on something like this. Enter everything into MyFitnessPal or own food diary. Don't fudge, don't lie, don't cheat yourself. And don't deviate from the plan unless you've gone 2 weeks following it exactly with no results. Recalculate every time you're down 4kg or stall out for 2 weeks of following the plan perfectly. What you're doing here is you want to figure out your TDEE, which is how many calories your body requires to maintain your current activity level at your current body weight. Then eat less. 0.5kg / week is usually the most that's realistic for most people, unless you have a ton of weight to lose.

If you want to add exercise, great. It's a healthy thing to do. With a bad knee, I'd suggest Yoga, bodyweight exercises, or swimming.
    Once you've lost the weight, I think you'll be surprised with what you can do again. Don't be a victim of your body - own it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. Meth. :lmafoe:

I dont have anything to add beyond what everyone else has said but i feel your pain, when you cant use your legs much it is really hard to burn the calories.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. [​IMG]
    Too the pool you go and join the old(rich) ladies in their water ballet ...lucky son of a gun

declaration: I do ballroom dancing now an Olympic sport

• Like Like x 1
  7. Read up on TDEE. Total Daily Energy Expenditure is how many calories you burn during a normal day. There are TDEE calculators all over the net. Eat at a 10% deficit and you'll lose weight safely and healthy.

Counting calories sucks but it works.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Are you counting your calories? Figure out your basal metabolic rate and then try and eat less than that number.

for a 45 year old at 5’10 and 270 pounds this is your BMR

1C72E03F-EDAC-42A5-8D8F-6CEB60239423.png

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. If your losing weight playing pingpong your knees couldnt be all that bad.

10. I'm just standing still. And my body is moving.

11. But not your knees?

12. yes

13. #13 AnnaKarenina21, Mar 22, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2022
    I had this problem too although I'm only 22 yo. Well, I tried to swim when I've felt first symptoms. It hadn't help. I went to a physiotherapist but he said I'm okay. I thought he's right because he's a doctor but no. He was wrong. My knees weren't good. So I started to take vitamins for joints. YAY! It helped me. I run every day and I have no problems of my health.

14. #14 old shol4evr, Mar 22, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2022
    i surely understand

15. Is cycling hard on the knees? It's been my way of keeping the weight off for decades.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Cycling is low impact- definitely better than running but depending on the situation still might not be an option.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Just by eating clean you can reach good results

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Swim and lift weights

19. Workaholic here, severe adrenal fatigue and pains in waist and knees pain began at 29 year old. Covid made this much worse and I even stopped exercising for a year. Binged on lots of sugar, coffee and energy drinks. Gained weight until stepping a foot into the orange region of obesity.

I cut out caffeine and sugar first. Cold turkey. And immediately switched to low-carb diet. Doing that two months since now. The beginning was a bitch though. Waistline started at 107cm and it is now 98. As a bonus, I also feel much less body pain and can do more physical activity.

Try yoga. There are plenty of poses for people with knee pain issue.

20. I lost 40lbs (18kg) over 2 years simply by paying better attention to what I eat and calorie counting, coupled with just moderate walks (30-45 minutes) 2-3 times a week, sometimes subbing in a bike ride or light free weights on some days.

my knees are not great and my spine is basically a single steel rod at this point, but doing stuff like that did not irritate my knees at least, in fact the weight loss and increased walking use made them feel noticeable better after just like 60 days.

Best of luck mate, and remember, the best program is the one you are most likely to stick too, not what necessarily worked for someone else!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1