Looking to get a new car under 25k

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by TGOLD, Jan 11, 2012.

1. #1 TGOLD, Jan 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2012
    Whats up everyone, I'm 19 going to school with a good job.
    My current car is a 07 ford fusion. It was a good car but like any ford sedan it's just falling apart and I just hate it lol.

But anyways I'm trying to start building credit so I'll be trading in my car and putting about 5k down my max will be about 25k.

Now my dream would be a nice pre owned Audi a4 or BMW 3 series. But those cars are a little pricy.

If anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking for a fun small sedan/coupe preferably not American. I would like a car that I could potentially turbo and just make it my own.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: not a brand new car, unless there are some good options. Preferably 2-4 years old

2. Bump...anyone have any suggestions?

3. s2000/350z

4. #4 TGOLD, Jan 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2012
    Preferably not a 2 seated thanks for the feedback though!

5. Well if anyone has any ideas id like a sporty but still luxurious. Smallish sedan/coupe that can be modded, both engine/wheels. I'd really like to get like an 08/9 Audi a4/BMW 330. I understand that people say the maintenance sucks but ive also heard otherwise.

If anyone has any input on either car or some similar choices.

Damn I kinda rambled lol..my bad pretty high:smoke:

6. Probably a stupid response, but I figure I might as well say it.

A Honda Civic or Accord sedan. Not the fanciest car, not the worst, but a perfect medium. I prefer reliability in my car. Those motherfuckers will stay with you until you die haha. and they've also got fairly nice resale values if you ever want to trade it in again and get a different car.

Unless you want reliable AND luxury, then a used Acura or Lexus will serve you well also

7. no response is a dumb one i appreciate it. it would be a good idea I'm just tired of driving a family car if you know what I mean..the accord coupe is pretty nice though, I'll look into that.

8. I can understand a family car getting old!! I use to have a 2010 Civic Sedan before my sister totaled it out and now I drive a 2011 Civic Coupe and I have tons of space in the backseat of my car for my crap I lug around, plus it has a nice bit of trunk space to tote around whatever I may need.

So if the Accord Coupe is anything like the Civic, you'll get a boatload of backseat room plus a nice bit of storage space in the trunk. Plus, knowing Honda and Toyota, you'll save sooo much on maintenance costs.

9. Yeah thats what has really attracted me to an accord. The coupes really do look great. I was also looking at an acura tsx a little more luxury but still the honda reliability aswell if anyone has any experience with acura.

I just...want an audi so bad, my realistic dream car is an rs4 or rs5 and to see that a used a4 is in my budget...

Does anyone with experience with used euro imports know if the newer 08+ audi's are more reliable now than previously?

10. Dont finance a car. Just a piece of financially sound advice. Buy outright or not at all. The problem with the way used/new car financing works. Unless you have a huge down payment you owe more on the car than you can sell it for for most of the payment term.

Meaning they got you by the balls for 4 of a 5 year term. What if you cant afford the payments 2 years down the road or need to sell it for another reason. You cant.

The best advice is to only finance a car you are well above water on when you drive it home.:wave:

11. I appreciate the advice, would you call 50% of the cost of the car a large enough down payment?

12. haha.. you shouldnt have any problem finding somethin for that. my car was 3k ...whaddaboutit?

13. Get a VW for under 25 easily, and there are different options for that kind of coin.

14. #14 stupidstuff, Jan 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2012
    yes but the two cars you mentioned are to much to maintain unless they come with proof of all scheduled maintenance.

The A4 needs a $2000 belt/water pump job every 75K, Then tranny and rear dif fluid change every 50k... then brake fluid flush/clutch fluid flush every 50k... then a $80 oil change every 5k. Tires, belts, hoses, brakes. I owned a Audi TT roadster for 3 years. It cost me 4 grand in scheduled maintenance in three years and 30 thousand miles and I did some of it myself. It ran and drove perfectly at 98k miles and 10 years old, and used almost no oil.

Used cars, not factory certified are going to need lots of things done to them in a short time unless there is PROOF it was done. That is why there being traded/sold.

So if you get a used car with no proof of it being properly maintained then you will need around 2+ grand on top of the purchase price for registration, tags, title, and updating the maintenance. At least for the cars you want.

Save some money then sell the fusion. Once you have the cash set 2 thousand aside, then go look for a car, and dont finance more than maybe 60% of the book value. Also decide what you want before setting foot on a lot or the sale's man will steer you into something you may not really have wanted. You will save a lot by going private party.

Doing anything with the justification of building credit is usually a bad start. That should tell you not to do it right there. For most that phrase turns into famous last words. When you have a good income you will find loans with good rates. Its about down payments and income, not credit. Credit is used to get poor people into debt.

15. used infiniti G37 coupe?

16. 2006 mercedes-benz CLK coupe?

17. 2007 audi A4 3.2L

18. Subaru wrx? Get you around in all kinds of weather, open to any mods you wanna do and reliable.

19. I've actually been seriously looking at the new jettas there classy looking cars the new one with a 2.5 liter is under 22..they look really similar to the Audi but it would be a new car. Some Miro 111 18s would look beautiful

20. Thank you for all of the sound advice man. What my plan is is to come up with 10-12k(trade in value+savings) then get a low interest 3 year loan from a credit union and buy the car outright and pay off the loan while building credit.