Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Looking for tips to extract oil from tincture

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by lowlandslady, May 14, 2011.

1. I have some liters of sativa tincture of several ounces of The Church buds in 60% alcohol.
    I use the tincture in a love potion I make. But now I've had a serious request for
    cannabis oil from someone who has been diagnosed with far-stage Hodgkin lymphoma (for the third time) who is making the concious choice not to go through the hell of regular treatment anymore (and whose doctor agrees it can only be 'possibly but marginally life expanding' to do so). Naturally I want to deliver the very best so tips from experienced oil extractors (not the naphta way, but from tincture) are very welcome.

The mediwiet forum here advises to steam the alcohol out slowly in a baby bottle warmer. But I've got quite a large batch to make obviously as she will need a total of 60ml for the first 90 days. Any tips? Thank you!

2. a large glass baking dish and a seedling 'bed warmer' should heat the alcohol and increase the rate of evaporation...(assuming alcohol is the only other chemical in the tincture) if it has other chemicals in it, I've no idea other than contacting a chemist.:eek:

3. No, just plain consumption alcohol. What I'm afraid of is overheating it and killing the THC... what's the max temp? I don't have a seedling bed warmer? I don't think that exists here...

4. well, those warmers keep the temp about 90ish degrees f, at least the ones I've tried. So a larger pan with some hot water should do.

Just replace the water as needed so the temp stays up. Ovens and stoves could help but you risk over heating or ignition of the alcohol (be very careful and watch the tinctures temp, and no gas stoves/ovens)

THC will vape away at 365 +- 10-20 degrees (herb type, altitude, humidity and air pressure variances) So a dbl boiler, such as used for melting chocolate could speed things up (just watch that temp). I'd keep it way under boiling (215)

PS; the larger the flat area of the pan the faster the alcohol will dissipate. (more surface area for the liquid)

5. As long as you are below the boiling point of water you should be OK.:D

So rig up a "water bath" from a big soup pot filled with water and a smaller pan or bowl with your tincture that will fit inside the big pot and something to keep the small pan's bottom from touching the big pot's bottom (I've used canning rings, pebbles and marbles before!)

In fact, by using water as your temperature control, you should come out with a superior product! Here's why :D

Ask Ed-
    Decarboxylation | Cannabis Culture Magazine

"Marijuana produces THCA, an acid with the carboxylic group (COOH) attached. In its acid form, THC is not very active. It is only when the carboxyl group is removed that THC becomes psychoactive. When marijuana is smoked, the THC behind the hot spot is vaporized as the hot air from the burn is drawn through the joint or pipe bowl to the unburned material. The liquid THC and other cannabinoids have a boiling point of between 180-200? C (355-392? F). Before they turn gaseous, at around 106? C (220? F), the carboxyl group is released from the molecule as carbon dioxide and water vapor."

Water boils at 212 F, so your THCA should "decarb" into THC to provide the maximum amount of "oomph"!

Hope that helps!

Granny :wave: