Looking for feedback on New ebb flow design idea

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by ChristWill, Jan 16, 2013.

1. #1 ChristWill, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2013
    So I am putting together a new Hydroponic system and just experimenting with some ideas and just wanted to see what the public thought of this idea.

So I am throwing around a few ideas for an ebb flow. the thing i don't like about traditional ebb flow systems is that having the drain in each bucket at the max water level can make a water current that can wash over the roots which may or may not strip good microbial growth on the roots leaving you with only the thick ol' roots and none of the smaller roots that make the root system all bushy like true aeroponics or dirt.

So my thought was remove the drain from each bucket the houses the plant itself. instead have a bucket to the side of the plants bucket that has the drain. Then use just a simple gravity fill system to all additional buckets. this will isolate the current to just the main bucket with the drain and pump. This would also be beneficial because the chance of a clogged drain pipe goes down to nearly 0% since all the debris and growing media is in a separate bucket.

And the roots are almost being dipped in the nutrient water as appose to being washed with it.

The only draw back i can see is that there will be left over water in the lines from the pump bucket to the plant bucket but since i would be watering frequently it would be recycled out before i think there would be any issues.

And added thought this design could also allow things like extra auxiliary pumps to shorten fill time during watering. and some other ideas. but lets just stick to this for now.

Any thoughts??

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd...._=1358520254_287aa0f4f8522232c43799d31610b520
    In the drawing there is one pump bucket (left side) and one plant bucket (right side) the idea though would allow for several plant buckets to be hooked to each pump bucket.