Looking for fan speed controller

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by K.a.h.86, Oct 30, 2020.

1. #1 K.a.h.86, Oct 30, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2020
    All the fans I've looked at, big and small, high priced or low, supposedly more powerful and quiet than all the others and they ALL have a different version of the se reviews. Some say theyre the best fans ever, some say they're garbage. And theres no fucking way im spending more tham $60 for a fan. That might make me super cheap, idk, but i found these and I'm gonna get them as soon as i get my tent and measure the vent holes. Downside is they dont come with a fan and all the controllers im seeing that i can afford have reviews that range from "didnt work"- "melted my socket".

So, fan controllers **under** $20 suggestions are welcome.

2. This is the one I just bought. Haven't used it yet, but it's just under $20.

• Like Like x 1
  3. That fan will rattle and b loud just so u know

• Like Like x 1
  4. I have that very same one too. It's been running an 80W fan for 2 yrs plus now. Works good. Good control. Some controllers are too sensitive or not enough. Mine is solid.

5. Type on speed controller for inline fan booster and get one for less than$15

Sent from my Coolpad 3310A using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. I've done that. Im looking for suggestions of specific ones within my price range from people who've used a particular fan speed controller specifically

Sent from my moto g power using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. I would buy one of those if i could afford it but I can't. Ive looked everywhere for fans in my price range that have lack of reviews that would deter me and they just arent there, so i have to chance it on whichever ones have less of those reviews. My grow tent that i havent received yet is only 2x2x4, so i don't need the most powerful fan. Just one that will be good enough for my purposes without being super loud or falling apart during the length of one or two grows. Im only growing for myself and my budget is too limited for the best and longest lasting equipment in every category. My only option would be to buy a cheaper fan and replace it later if i have to because my budget can't go over a certain amount. Im fine with replacing a fan as long as its quiet and holds up during a single grow. But the noise thing is my biggest concern. These fans had the least amount of reviews of all of them that said it was loud or fell apart too soon. My grow needs to be stealthy and its also in my living space (basically my bedroom)so it cant drown out other sounds that i would like to or need to hear, and cause the other people who live here to complain about the noise. I have some disabilities that keep me in bed a lot of the time so i dont want constant annoying noise.

Anyway, im just looking for a speed controller that doesnt cause problems with my fans or cause a fire hazard. I can go up to $20 but thats the limit bc im already spending most of my money on the other stuff i need.

8. I could swing that. As long as its under $20 and doesnt fuck up my fan or overheat anything, cause extra noise, im fine with it. If the controller itself were to stop working after a single grow, I'm fine replacing it, i just dont want it to break my fan in some way or cause it to be noisy af.

9. And ive been looking at fans just under the $60 price range as well. They just all had the same reviews as the cheaper ones so i figured why waste extra money if its gonna be just like the cheap ones. I havent settled on anything 100% though.

10. I haven't had any issues. I find Vivosun makes good stuff.
    Of course, sometimes you get a lemon, but I am confident it should work good for you. Vivosun seems to be pretty good with customer service from what I've read, too....but I've yet to put that to the test.

I also find their fans to be pretty good too. You should be able to find one in your price range, even a 6" I think.

I'm rocking 3 Vivosun fans and filter sets, and one Vivosun speed controller right now and they all work great.

11. Im sorry guys, I'm overly excitable from time to time lol. Today is a particularly bad pain flare day.

12. Dude, I'm the king ding-a-ling of overly excitable lmao!
    And yeah. Pain sucks. It wears on ya after while. No worries.

13. feel better

14. I wonder if i should buy a cheap backup fan just in case one craps out. Just to keep the air flowing for the time it takes to get a replacement so there will be less stank going on until i get it.

15. I always keep backups.

There are even real cheap Vivosun fans on Amazon. Just filter based on price, lowest to highest. They're like $30'ish Canadian. They work. I have a small 4" one, and it even draws thru a 4" filter no problem, even dialed down a fair ways, and it keeps up with my smallest grow tent. You can see it on top here....

20201028_222009.jpg

I also use those cheap 6" Sailflo fans on Amazon for my mom and dry tents.
    They're like $25-30'ish Canadian. There's one on Amazon that comes with a 6" dryer vent flapper built in, too, but I would just suggest getting the one without if you go Sailflo. Not the best flapper design I find. Better air movement without it.
    I have 3 spare Sailflo's kicking around here. Spare pumps when I can etc. Always a good idea and you almost always end up using them again later either as replacements or when you change something up.

16. How long do you get out of your vivosun filters? I have a 6 inch on my second grow late flower and the smell is coming through quite a bit.

17. I've been running these filters about a year and a half or so. 3 or 4 crops about thru each I'd say. Can't remember exactly when I bought them. My Fusion Breath is going on 3 years old at least. Washed and baked it in the oven and it still seems to work lol! It keeps my drying tent from bombing my house out.

Unless I smoke something in my house, I don't smell jack squat. Neighbors don't smell anything when I vent outside in the summer.

• Like Like x 1
  18. I was reading about passive and active intake and that active intake was better for keeping smell under control. So ive been shopping for fans with the intention of getting two of them. As well as filters. Intake fan and exhaust fan, one filter inside the tent and one filter outside. I bought the reflective duct tape in case the tent has pinholes or gets little tears. I had wondered if putting some of the cut to fit carbon filter fabric over all the other possible air leak spots would help in blocking any smell from escaping. Does this all sound like overkill?