Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Looking for CBD advice possibly

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by catherine66, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Hello -

I have an uncle who is about 72 and is suffering by now terribly from a condition called amyloidosis whereby proteins have infiltrated his heart. He is on a lot of medications to keep all this under control. These are the same kinds of "plagues" that take over the brain in Alzheimer's.

Well, it seems they have moved to his brain finally and he is now experiencing more extreme states of dementia.

I told both him and the rest of my family two years ago about trying CBD to help with the amyloid problem but no one really listened. Now they are suddenly interested. It is probably too late to reverse anything serious, but we are wondering if CBD oil would help his pain problem and help him sleep. He is getting up in the night confused and agitated and falling. He can't take anything potent for sleep and Melatonin does not work.

We also thought some CBD ointment might help the pain in his legs.

Everyone's concern is if any CBD at all would contribute further to his dizziness. Of course, the doctors have no knowledge to give out. He is also very tempermental and I am wondering if it would help calm him down some.

Mostly, I am wondering if anyone has had any experience giving a lower strength CBD oil to infirm elderly paitents. The only concern seems to be if it will aggravate dizziness.

Thanks!
    Catherine

2. CBD products do not have any psychoactive qualities so it should definitely not contribute to any dizziness.

I have had great results with the elderly and topical ointments but they needed to have ample amounts of THC in my experience as well. The good thing is it is also pretty unlikely for one to get "high" from the THC applied topically.

Are you in a legal state for medical?

• Like Like x 1

3. He is in Michigan. He did talk to his doctor or PA but they said they would not prescribe it. He was asking about CBD and I think he thought they were asking about regular or more THC products. I just bought some CBD tincture for myself. I think I am going to just send them some to experiment with a small amount.

4. There could be a medical reason his doctor won't prescribe it. CBD should not be taken if any of the medications he's taking have a warning about consuming grapefruit. Blood thinners are one such medication. The risk is that the CBD can block the uptake.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

5. Thank you. I doubt the PA even would know something like that. That seems like an important consideration.

He did say he thought it would be OK but just didn't want to be involved in prescribing it. My uncle wasn't even asking about THC cannabis.