Looking for Camera Advice

Discussion in 'General' started by Backvwoods, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Hey Blades,

Recently I have found a passion for photography and videography. I want to invest into a quality camera and I guess my budget would be up to 1k, but id prefer 500-700. I want to take crisp landscape shots, possibly getting into modern city shots etc.. sorry if this is terrible terminology lol.

I also am wanting to start a youtube channel revolving around fitness and lifestyle so i was kind of a versatile camera that will take crisp pictures, but one that is also very good for video as well.

Thanks for any input!

2. As a youtuber myself, I've found the Cannon eos rebel t6i the best all around camera. It's a little pricey though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

3. Are you good enough with camera to explain the biggest differences between the T5, T6 and T6i?

4. #4 Serapsis, Apr 5, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    I shoot Canon so that's the only thing I can suggest. 750-1k will get you an alright amateur setup.
    Since you wanna shoot landscape and city-scapes you're going to want a wide lens, something like 15-17mm
    Keep in mind Glass outlasts camera bodies.... Glass is for life, bodies go outdated like phones.
    So it's best to get a cheaper body being a beginner, and invest in one or two really good lenses that will maintain value.

Side By Side of some comparable cameras.
    Side by Side Comparison: Digital Photography Review

Here's some suggestions

$400 Body - Rebel SL1, outdated but still viable
    Could also go another $100-200 and get a slightly better body, (movable screen, stereo microphone, more mega pixels, etc)
    Canon EOS Rebel SL1 DSLR Camera (Body Only) 8575B001 B&H Photo

$300 Lens - Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 I have this lens, its great, lots of good reviews (I paid over $550 in 2008)
    Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD Lens for Canon AF016C-700 B&H

Probably going to need a tripod. $70 here,
    Davis & Sanford Vista Voyager Tripod with FZ10 3-Way VOYAGER3H

You'll also need a memory card for the camera and maybe an extra battery.

5. I know several people who have fallen into this passion and gotten way over their heads way too quickly and had their wallets pay the price.. I would really think about if this is something you want to do and if it is, maybe consider a second hand camera or even a visit to your local pawn shop first. Just an idea from a guy who has watched many friends take up this hobby only to ultimately have them give it up due to bad financial choices, this being one of them.

6. Nikon, Canon, Sony, Pentax are probably your top 4 brands. They are pretty much all excellent. You go with the one you have lenses with if you've had one before.

To pick, you go to the store and pick each one up and play with it in your hands. Note how it feels and how the controls are. That is basically the difference in the top brands, feel and ergonomics.

I don't have a dSLR but I had looked at them before. I prefer the ergonomics of the Nikons as such I would just buy the D5xxx series and research a little about lenses to make a better selection for a little more than the kit lenses. It would take a new person a long time to out grow that combo with the lenses covering the kit lens focal range.

Most everyone chooses their Nikon, Canon, Sony, or Pentax the same way, by feel and ergonomics. Differences in any quality detail between brands would be measured in red CH's.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. It's an expensive hobby and it can get old fast, make sure you'll like it long enough to get your moneys worth,

8. Take some college classes, they are actually helpful and not that expensive.

Good cameras are not cheap, you might get lucky finding a used one, but start saving money instead of starting low. Lens are not cheap either.

Also, perspective is really important I found.
    My mom does photography as a hobby and has some really nice cameras, and she takes better photos than I do with the same camera.

9. Love the feedback guys and thanks for every perspective. Even for those of you saying to make sure you'll enjoy it for long enough - you have a very good point.

10. Buy second-hand. This is the greatest advice

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum