Looking for a Job - I am Science

Discussion in 'General' started by timdecker, Sep 28, 2012.

1. As of right now I am scheduled to start dental school in the fall of 2013. However, I am no longer sure if that is what I want to do for the rest of my life...

I have an undergraduate and a graduate degree in the field of biology. My graduate degree focused more on cell signaling (how proteins and other molecules interact with cells in the body). Now for the past year I have been thinking about finding a job that involves cannabis research. I would love to assist in the field of identify cannabis receptors on normal and abnormal cells and the different types of responses generated by these receptors.

Buuuut....I have no clue of where to start looking for this type of job. I can't exactly go to my previous academic advisers, as most universities don't care to get involved in this field of study.

Does anyone know where I can start looking for this type of career. I am not looking to work for a dispensary or grow room, but in an accredited lab/research type setting. I have experience in a number of different types of lab equipment (numerous types of chromatography and gel plating).

If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

PS. This seemed like the best place to put this thread. Move it if it is necessary.

2. I dunno, you're pretty quick to dismiss schools from researching cannabis though. My school has some cannabis-related research programs (even a strain developed here for cancer patients, at least that's the myth haha, could be another G-13-esque rumor though) and I know some of my friends who live in far less weed friendly states (Nebraska haha) school has one too.

I can't really help you much though, but they are out there

3. It's a little different in Texas, the universities don't want to have a "hippy" label associated with them. You would think it would be different in Austin, but even UT doesn't want the label. I wouldn't mind moving to anywhere in the US.

4. These folks might be very interesting to contact! Project CBD | CANNABIDIOL SCIENCE | FOR DOCTORS | FOR PATIENTS

And do you have your copy of my List yet? I collect MMJ/cannabinoid studies. For a preview of what I do, click that first link in my sig! ......

That's the small, old 2010 version. For the new 2012 version, send me an email (bottom of my sig).

Study of the endocannabinoid system is the next big thing in medicine! The number of studies on it is growing rapidly over at PubMed! CB and GPR receptors are where it's at!

Granny

5. I am math, give me a job.

:eek:

6. I'd recommend you move to somewhere on the West Coast then. Or Colorado.

California might be best based on the sheer volume of pot and colleges there.

7. Thank you so much. I will look into them more.

I have access to nearly every journal article, so I try to keep up with the most current research. Although the search algorithm in the databases is horrible, so it is hard for me to find "specific" older information that I haven't read yet. I have been current with this field of study for nearly 2 years now. But I'll email you soon just to see what you have =)

8. #8 timdecker, Sep 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2012
    I am more interested in how these molecules interact with other receptors, no just CBR. I'd like to help in the lab even if it just preparing solutions or gels to try and get my foot in the door. So if I have to move that's fine. I'm not looking for any "pro-pot" agendas, I'll leave that to the politicians. I have seen this plant work to many miracles, and it is something that I want to be apart of....

9. Yeah I feel you. I'm not saying to move to CA to grow weed or work in a dispensary, but weed is so widely accepted there that I'm sure more schools (especially considering the entire UC/state school system there) would have cannabis related chemistry research projects.

In a lot of places marijuana (even medical) is a pretty taboo subject.

10. @thewarden,

Yeah. It's not like I can call and email schools out of state asking them about it. I don't want to get blacklisted by universities. So I figured I would start here in my search for this type of career.

11. yup yup. I mean I'm just guessing trying to help you out. I've never personally done this, nor do I think many blades have jobs in the cannabis field that aren't growing/something related to it or working in a dispensary/being a caregiver/etc and if they do, they aren't incredibly vocal about it.

Maybe try an internship/job/shadowing at SC Labs? That'd be fucking dope and would be a great place to "get your foot in the door" in the MMJ industry. You seem to be qualified too.

12. thanks for the name drop on SC labs, just another one for me to look into. I think I would be much happier doing this than dental school.

If you can think of any others please let me know. I am working on my resume this weekend.