Looking for a good source of kelp meal

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by FreeRadical, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Hello,

Can anyone recommend a good source for kelp meal that does not kill you with shipping rates and is relatively close to Israel (Europe's good)? Only source I could find here was by Now, 1/2 pound for 10 bucks, not including local shipment. I know it should be a lot cheaper.

Thanks,
    FR>

2. Maxicrop soluble powder. It has the same nutrients as Kelp Meal but more concentrated, lighter for shipping, longer shelf life, good for starting seeds and good for foliar feeding.

3. Free Radical,

That sucks that it costs so much for kelp meal in Israel. We're lucky to be able to source it here in the PNW for about $1.20/lb USD. Have you tried any feed/farm stores? It is used extensively as a feed supplement for cattle/poultry/etc here in the states.

Not only do I use it for my gardening, but we feed it to our chickens and turkeys and I've filled 1000 gel caps with it for my wife and I to take daily as a mineral enhancement.

chunk

4. Maxicrop is based in England and their operation is located in Norway.

The controlling agency based in Norway lists 8 other companies that work in the 'kelp spot market' so for your part of the world I'd look at the Norwegian kelp processors and find how they're handling their distribution.

Pretty closed industry actually. There are only 2 major players - Maxicrop and Acadian Seaplants, Ltd. out of Nova Scotia.

Another product you might consider is KELPAK out of South Africa. I know that it's widely available in Western Europe so hitting their web site and checking for distributors in your part of the world might be worth your time.

I've used KELPAK in the past and while raw kelp meal is my preference this is the least processed kelp/seaweed extract in that they do not use potassium hydroxide or even a fermentation process - the kelp 'juice' is pressed out of the plant material (while still fresh) using a mechanical process.

Their web site has more information that might help you figure things out.

HTH

LD

5. Have you checked out farmerdorganics.com?

6. #6 Type3Steve, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Check out Farmer D's Organics in Atlanta, GA. They have a great website!

7. Hey y'all,

A friend of mine's gonna be going to the States soon, they'll get me a couple pounds, should tidy me over until I find a more steady source.

Jellyman, LD - I'll look into the extracts you've proposed, though reluctantly. Got Algamic here (15% kelp extract and 30% humic acid derived from Leonardite), but I guess it's not the same.

Steve - that site only ships within the states....

LD - I'll do some digging.

Thanks to everybody for the info,
    FR>