Look what I found on the flea market today

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by gop, Jun 5, 2008.

1. If you remember, Im the guy who is atempting to grow weed with a 600W lamp in his wardrobe. Its been 2 week since I first planted the seeds, and so far the plants are doing fine, however even after installing my extractor fan the temperature in the closet with the doors closed was still too hot for my liking. I was keeping the doors slightly open so far, but when the plants start to flower, the smell will be an issue and I will need to keep the doors closed.

So yesterday I decided to take a stroll in the local flea market and see if I can find any intake fan there. What I found was a 250W lamp! Upon hearing the price of 5 pounds ( 10$ ) and that it works I drew up a note before the seller could blink.

I brought it home and examined it closer. Judging by the bulb I concluded that it was a lamp that used to sit on top of an aquarium. I took it apart to see if all the wirings are OK and if I can seporate the ballast and the reflector for easier hanging. On the ballast it says that it can take Mh and HPS bulbs :bigjoint: However I put it back together because I did not want to mess around with electrical things for safety reasons, and will atempt to hang it in my wardrobe as it is. Naturally I have a few questions :rolleyes:

The bulb installed in the lamp at the moment is this one: HIT 250 cw E40
    BLV 10K, 14K and 20K Aquarium Lamps
    It is a Mh light intended for illuminating aquariums. it has 11000 lumnes and color temperature of 10000 Kalvin (Im not sure if that is useful for my purposes) The lumens seem pretty low, but Im wondering for my small space of 1.5 foot x 2.5 foot x 5foot that would be sufficient? Also I'm eager to install the lamp. Can I use this bulb on my plants for 4-5 days until my new one arrives?

Also Im considering getting a Mh bulb and a HPS bulb ONLY for flowering, or just one HPS bulb that is good both for vegging and flowering. So far I narrowed my choices to the following bulbs:

Power Plant 250 watt HIT/HBU/LU Metal Halide Lamp
    Greenfields Hydroponics UK - Power Plant 250 watt HIT/HBU/LU Metal Halide Lamp

AND

Osram NAV T Super (good only for flowering, no blue spectrum)
    SON-T PLUS 250W E40 HPS Grow Hydroponics (10031O) on eBay, also Hydroponics, Plants Seeds Bulbs, Garden Plants, Home Garden (end time 06-Jun-08 12:34:05 BST)

OR just this one:

Philips 250 watt Son-T Plus HPS Lamp
    Greenfields Hydroponics UK - Philips 250 watt Son-T Plus HPS Lamp

I am tempted to get 2 bulbs because the ballast can support both MH and HPS. However money is kind of an issue so if I get just the phillips bulb, and if my yeld and grow time are similar under only the phillips bulb, Ill get that one. What do you think?

I think I will have problems hanging the lamp because the ballast is integrated and the whole thing weighs about 10kg. If you have any advice, it is wellcome! I bought some chains and will atempt it and will post pics later.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      68.1 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      67.2 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg