Longboarding

Discussion in 'General' started by whos_gotherb311, Apr 13, 2008.

1. And by longboarding I mean on a skate board, not surfing. Anyone here do it or done it in the past?

I just picked it up about 3 weeks ago. Ive looked into it for years, and finally saw the music video for The Knife - Heartbearts, and those kids just inspired me and a few buddies to get on one. So I went and picked up a Sector 9 uluwatu 46 inch pin tail and got to cruising. Ive gotten alright, but ive already fallen and gotten injured twice. Once I fell going downhill on pavement and got some bad scrapes, and the other I fell into some grass going kinda fast and hurt my elbow, that was yesterday. This shit is so much fun though, going down hill, in parking garages, carving back and forth. Cant wait to pick up some sliding gloves and start sliding.

Heres some vids of me and a couple of my friends at a ditch spot in our city, and also a vid of my scrapes when I hit the pavement. Peep it.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0TgGsnNBxxY&hl=en&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0TgGsnNBxxY&hl=en&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wPZpnlzUJ1A&hl=en&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wPZpnlzUJ1A&hl=en&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VUw8A-RjmcQ&hl=en&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VUw8A-RjmcQ&hl=en&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

2. Great looking ditch!!! That thing would be so much fun to rip all day

For your next board get something a little smaller to rip the ditch up with. I've got a Gravity Diamond Tail 37'', and am hopefully getting 2 new boards this summer.....something along the lines of a 52'' cruiser and a ~30'' mini to take around campus, as I've found mine a little large.

Longboarding is great, I always roll some joints and go ripping....enjoy the summer on your board.

3. Read the stickies in each forum and you would know how to embed videos, photos and the like. Theres a reason the mods put them as stickies: http://forum.grasscity.com/general/188478-grasscity-forums-posting-etiquette.html

As for longboarding that shit is legit. I haven't done real ripping since middle school and the begining of high school but bombing hills and carving is so much fun. My favorite board has to be: http://www.loadedboards.com/newsite_v1/vanguard.html

Loaded boards are stronger than anyother you will come in contact with. My old neighbor was sponsered by them and trust me they are the shit. You can drive a truck over them and they won't snap.

4. Thanks for the heads up Rhythm. Ive been on these boards for like 6 or 7 years, its become habit to scroll down from the stickies automatically, I just never have embedded a video before, but I got it now.

The longer board we have is a 46 inch Sector 9 uluwatu, I got it because I was advised it would super easy to learn on, which it has been. The other bored in those videos is about 40 inches with a kicktail, another sector 9. I was looking at some lowriders from landyachtz and also the flexdex pro40. The loaded dervish Ive always thought looks really sweet as well. Do yall wear protective gear at all?

THat ditch is a popular spot here in the city and we like going there. I really like some of the neighborhoods we have though, theyre really good for just slow cruising and carving. Ill probably get my next board by the end of the summer and its gonna be a high quality board! :hello:

5. I never wore any pads or anything. But hey I'm not saying that what I recommend, I got the scars to prove it. The dervish is a good board but I'm 100% for the vanguard. Don't know why but its my style.

You and your friends need to find some hills to bomb. Once you can handle going super fast then your balance will be pretty decent. The next step is to figure out slides and carves. I recommend checking out an empty parking structure and starting at the top and work your way down. Late nights with no car traffic is ideal :D

**Walk the path your going to ride and clear out any rocks, debris etc. Nothing is worse than hitting a rock going 35 mph.

6. awesome, i don't longboard but my friend does. I just skateboard. but two days ago we found a sweet spot in the middle of nowhere.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

so much fun :smoking:

7. Wow man, that second pic looks like a great spot to just carve it up. I wish I had a helicopter so I could fly around town looking for spots lol.

Theres a frost bank near my friends neighborhood (hes in the videos) and its got a garage parking lot thats 5 stories. We went there last sunday and were running it for like 45 mins, didnt see another soul. They did have a lot of volvo's stored up on the 4th level though so they might think were trying to vandalize or anything. I think were going back tomorrow and Ill get some videos, or pictures at least. There also another bank with a really really long garage, looked like 6 levels I wanna check out, and my old community college has a pretty sweet parking garage now, but its got fucking speed bumps at some parts.

Going super fast has kinda been my downfall, pun intended. Whenever I start to pick up fast speed, I start wobbling and get worried im gonna unbalance. Thats how I fell, so Ive been practicing on level streets. Im not gonna do anymore steep downhill until I get pads, gloves, and some good shoes. How do you guys brake? Ive been trying to footbrake, but its been hard for me and I fell uncomfortable at moderate speed with only one foot on the board, how did you practice?

8. I'm a member at the forums there....loads of great info in those pages about anything longboard related.

Sometimes i'll throw a helmet on but only when I'm going out to really bomb a hill...when I'm just cruising and carving around I won't. I made a pair of slide gloves that work really well, and I use those for sliding, garden gloves + cutting board

9. You stop by sliding or slowdown by carving. Don't stop bombing hills just go small and work your way up. Even if you find a huge hill go like 1/4 of the way up ride it and slowing go up from there. If your having a real bad problem with speed wobbles your might need to tighten your trucks more.

10. This is sooo true....whenever I find a new hill, unless I'm 100% sure I can handle the size of it and I'm 100% sure its safe at the bottom and everything I'll take my time with it. Walk it once, go 1/4 up go down, go 1/2 up go down and just keep working your way up......longboarding can be dangerous because of the whole NO BRAKES thing

learning a safety slide where you can kill a lot of speed quickly is a good idea before tackling any hills that are too big

11. Ive just gotten home from a good night of partyin, and riding. I had a surprise smoke out which was great, and also a really level street where I was at. Even got some buddies of mine to ride on my board for the first time. I went up and down the road, probably about a 3/4 of a mile 5 or 6 times and got some good simple riding and carving in, I even loosened up the trucks on my board for the first time which made a really big difference for the simple carvng. Gonna see how it does in the garage tomorrow. Ill be back with some pics or vids of that tomorrow hopefully.

12. It's like.... surfing on the ground.

Intense. I'd prolly crack my head open though haha

13. Longboarding is definitely a very good time. My board is a freaking whale on wheels, but i cant argue with the stability. I want somethin a little smaller and tighter to really rip up those carves.

And peter....oh man, that spot looks absolutely orgasmic!

14. What kinda board do you have? length?

15. I longboard not as much anymore, but I get out their when I can.