Long time hps grower having trouble adjusting to leds

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by onthemooch, May 29, 2017.

1. Hey all.

Just wanted to ask some questions about led growing. With a view to solving a problem which has ocurred.

Ok so the situation is this. Use hps to grow 250w for early veg the 400w for later veg an flower. Last week bought a mars hydro 1200w led to run a lemon haze under, as i wanted to do this in adifferent room in summer time. I thought the heat problem would be solved as peak summer arrives. I currently have 1 haze and 1 other plant under a 250w hps they are only small and are currently in 2ft x 2ft tent 1.4m in height.

Ok when i flower i put 1 plant in a 3ftx3ftx6ft tent an scrog . So im going to do this with my haze and mars 1200w.

In the meantime i thought i would get the haze used too the led and inserted it into the 2ftx2ft tent. Now this is where something went wrong. Temps were great. Humidty great light at 18inches
    But plants wilted and drooped. Over 2 days. Im racking my brain to work thus out.

The only thing i can think of is that the light is causing the issue.

Do i need to have it further away ?
    Is the 1200w too intense for the small space i tested it in ?
    Will moving it into the 3ftx3ft tent solve the problem ?

Any help appreciated.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Sounds like light stress which should be fixable by moving the lights far away. 1200 W even for a 3 x 3 is a lot. Careful, those haze plants might grow up to the lights, and really get burned.

3. What distance do they recommend for your light?

Also, you may notice that your soil isn't drying out as quickly. Under hps I water around every 2 days, under led it takes 3+.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Ok. Have you used the mars 1200w its supposed to be same as 600w hps. I Have seen another grow journel where a 3ftx3ftx6ft tent and mars 1200w work really well. I suppose im just looking for reassurance from anyone that had this problem an solved it prior to me sticking it in a 3ftx3ft tent an getting the same problems. Otherwise ill save tge time an just hps it again. Height wise im not overally worries cause i scrog pretty low so can manage the stretch.

5. Its in an autopot so drinks when it requires.

Distance said 18-24 inches so seemed ok until this happened

6. I think that's the good light for a 3x3 in the mars II lineup. It puts you on the high end of the scale watts per square foot. That's a 512 watt light. You're running 9 square feet. That's over 55 watts per square. It's not too high for HPS but led is recommended at 30-50. I'm running 47.

You should be fine with that light if you can keep temps at the top of the canopy below 80. You'll also need 18-22" light distance especially at the beginning of flower when they are getting used to the light. When they are transitioning from a 250 watt hps to a 512 watt led you should start the led all the way up and work it down slowly to 18-22"

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. I always start out higher than the recommended distance. I'd start at 26" if they recommend 18-24. That's all I can really suggest without seeing pics.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Lads. You have relayed my worries thank you. My common sense was screaming it was distance from light but it threw me that it caused syptoms of over watering or cold shock. I will nurse them back to health under my 250w and then switch the haze into the bigger tent with a bigger distance. Thanks again for the advise

• Like Like x 1
  9. Update.

Ok so after putting back under hps 250w plants have stopped drooping. So was defo the light imo.

Ill try it one last time in the bigger tent. If the same thing happens then im getting rid of the mars 1200w and will just continue with hps

10. I'd be happy to take that mars off your hands if it doesn't work out for you lol....I love LED lighting....but I believe it was just a bit to close .....let them recover then introduce them to it at 24" away and see what comes of it ...good luck

• Like Like x 3
  11. Ill keep you posted. Iv just set up the 3ftx3ft an put it in with the plants litterally 10 mins ago. Post pics shortly

• Like Like x 2
  12. Ok so the light is 29 inches from scrog net an about 33 inches from top of buggest plant. Temps at the time of writing this and on the scrog net are currently at 23c humidity was 60% but has dropped to 55% in the last 10 mins. So hopfully that will solve the problems. If it doesnt im whipping it out and putting hps back in. If it does work how it should do i shall turn this into a journal an co tinue posting.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  13. I'm interested to see how it all turns out for you

14. Ok so everything has continued to run normally without any of the previous issues so i will now update this this thread regular as a journal. Here are the first update pics. Currently 2 plants in tent 1 lemon haze (left) 1 royal caramel (right) i will be removing the royal caramel to scrog the lemon haze. Any questions hit me up .

15. Pics

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Starting to feed the pkant into the scrog net now. Looking at another 2-3weeks of veg before i flip it

Attached Files:

17. One thing i have noticed is the increase in nodes on the main stems. Now this could be down to either the light or the strain im not sure.

Also nodes are very close together more so than when im growing with hps this i am attributing more to the light.

Thanks

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Going back to the original post... they probably weren't used to the spectrum of light from the led. Some strains just take a little while to get used to them. Is it the kind with the veg and flower switches? Might want to just run some gals from start to finish under the led to test it.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

19. #19 OG Flightschool, Jun 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
    Ok..I'm not there of course so I can't definitely say...but in my opinion it wasn't the light, I don't understand the adjusting everyone's speaking of...I mean you did start veg with led right? Or wrong? I'm thinking over watering, because with too close light heat the whole plant wouldn't droop...only the leaves would curl in order to escape light...I had a similar situation but the plants wasn't drooping so to speak it was doing the "Michael Jackson Smooth Criminal lean" I moved further from the tower fan and it stood back up. It was running from the air/wind or the wind was pushing...it was the wind lol...Too close light in my experience has only made my tips change color or curl down...over watering has made em droop but that was years ago...I water maybe twice a week now...But I do think your going backwards as to using the led and then the hps...leds are cool for veg but are super for flower...waaay more frosty. So next time maybe hps first then led...don't try and switch now...remember I started the whole overdoing it post soooo

• Like Like x 1
  20. Auto pots if had a lot of problems with root rot could be the issue and to start out with your led if keep it the max distance you have then move it closer day by day and you'll figure out what's a good distance