Long-Term Watering Solution?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by texicali420, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Hey All, hope you're enjoying the holidaze! So, like many, I'm going to be away for a week over xmas at the in-laws (woo hoo!), and I need a way to water the plants since I won't be here to do it. Originally I was thinking about getting the self-watering bottles that you stick in the pot, but right now I don't have the money for as many as I'd need, and I don't think they would work in my smaller pots (eg seedlings). SO, I've been thinking of a few ways I could do this.

1) originally I was thinking of some type of bottle or bucket hung above the plants (say to the side). Then with some sort of valve off the bucket I could attach one of two things: either a number of strings/chord that I could run around the base of the plant on the top of the soil, kind of like how you water African Violets, but from the top. OR, some sort of soaker hose, maybe even a PVC pipe with minute holes drilled in it. I just don't know if I can get the flow right...

2) Another idea I had was to take a pond filter/pump (I have a small one I am not using) and attachit to said PVC/Soaker Hose and put it on a timer. I expect it would need to be a digital timer, and I'd only want it to run maybe 30 seconds to a minute depending on how much water (and pressure) it produces.

Ok, so that's all fine and dandy, but I've only got two days to do this. I'm going to be gone a week.

3) Perhaps I could leave the pots sitting in a tray of water?

4) I was also thinking I could water them really good before I go then wrap the top of the pot around the base of the pant with plastic, to keep the soil from evaporating water out, hence producing a longer time the water would stay in the soil, maybe enough to get me by till I got home.

5) I was also thinking, along that line, that I could put strips of wet rags around the top of the soil...

6) I've read online about gels you can use, anyone have experience with those and know where to get it?

Other ideas/suggestions?

Thanks!