Long term storage

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by sosogrow, Apr 18, 2022.

1. I have a couple pounds hanging up drying what are the best container to store for 6 months I know glass jars but is the anything plastic on the market that works good

2. Some guys store in large black 5 gallon plastic containers. I'm not big on plastic, but I know there are certain types to avoid, and certain types that will work just fine.

Something about some plastics being able to breathe and off gas, and other plastics being stable.

3. C-Vault storage containers. Comes in various sizes. This is what we used to use for curing our flowers before it went into packages. Metal, very easy to disinfect and prevent cross contamination between flowers by just wiping with isopropyl.
    2C4843AC-D227-4D42-8AB8-6EF97A539939.jpeg
    Right corner (C-Vault) Boveda’s Brand

• Like Like x 2
  4. Wish I had your problem

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. I would not use plastic to store my cannabis. I try to avoid using plastic when possible, but it is everywhere- my computer, the chair I am sitting on, the clothes I wear, even the food I buy is wrapped in it.... you can't really escape plastic! But plastic shouldn't be in contact with cannabis.

First off, plastics (especially the soft ones) can contain phthalates that can harm unborn babies, cause liver and kidney problems and may mess with your sex hormones, especially in males. Why phthalates should be restricted or banned from consumer products
    I worry about cross contamination. Cannabinoids are oil soluble, while some plastics feel "oily". Could THC leak on to /into the plastic, and the plastic's oils leak on to/ into the cannabis?

And did you know that microscopic bits of plastic can now be found in your blood and lungs? That can not be healthy! :sick: Microplastics have now been found in human blood and lungs. But is it toxic?

You can clean glass with alcohol (Everclear, etc), and maybe even salvage some THC. Cleaning a baggie or plastic container with alcohol may also dissolve some of the chemicals in the plastic, contaminating any THC you salvage.

Also, we need to get off this "plastic addiction" that we have developed as a species. That little baggie that you tossed in the trash will be around on this earth longer than you will be! Your great-great-grandkid may dig up and recycle the old plastic plate you threw away, while cursing our names for screwing things up so badly. :mad:

Plastic is unavoidable, but we can cut down on our use of it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. Looks perfect I will order those I have the boveda packs already 62%

7. Good input on plastic.
    But, I’ve been using the Grove Bags lately. I real like them. They do a good job of keeping the humidity levels in check. Nonjar burping necessary

• Like Like x 2
  8. Literally any airtight container is good to go, but i also don't use plastic. Just make sure you have the dry/cure done right and when you can maintain 62% for several days seal the containers 80% and it will last years.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Just to clarify i meant 62% humidity. Fill your final storage container to 80% capacity

• Like Like x 1
  10. A food grade 5 gallon PVC bucket with a rubber seal works good for two pounds. Inhaling smoke from burning pot has to be worse for your health than storing your pot in PVC. I have several pounds stored in buckets right now but I bet I inhale more toxins driving across town than I'd get from those buckets in 50 years. Sure, be health conscious but look at all the food we get in plastic containers. Just don't buy a PVC bowl for your bong.

• Like Like x 2
  11. I press to candy bar size, vacuum pack wrap in Sarin and store frozen in a Rubbermaid
    my concern is any plastic smell that may leech so far so good now about 4.5 years

12. i am thinking just using gallon freezer bags and putting like 50 grams in each of course all the top colas are my personal stash so they go in the big glass jar! should i squeeze all the air out of the baggies or leave some?

13. i have like 35 ounces i decided just to use freezer bags and keep them cool and dark

• Like Like x 1
  14. yeah get as much air out I have since found a guy who wraps his weed in Turkey/Roasting bags
    hes yet to answer why Turkey bags

15. check out grove bags..u can buy lots of different sizes, from single 1g bags,1lb and 2lb bags, and tbh I think i saw 5lb bags as well but don't hold me to that.. lol..hearing alot of ppl switching over to those..apparently no cure needed before bagging, u dry, trim, then bag, the bags does the curing for u, no burping required..im thinking of switching this harvest..gonna put my order in next week actually..ive tried Mason jars and always think 'what if' I ever dropped one..lmao..so gonna do a little comparison to see which i like better..