Long Stem?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by mrpickle, Aug 12, 2014.

1. #1 mrpickle, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2014
    Hey guys, I'm a new grower and just started my first grow. I've done a lot of research, but I still have a bit of questions about my girls

They seem to have rather long stems, is this normal? Both of them seem to be about this length(they're about 2 inches long, I took a pic of 1 of em since they're similar). 
    The 400W HPS light gets hothothot and I have a fan constantly running over the bulb.
    to help strengthen the stems I've also started running a light breeze with another fan over them, just enough so they "dance" a bit in the breeze. Just a little, though. 
    [​IMG]
    (there seems to be interference with my 400W HPS light and my phone camera, those shadows aren't there normally)

I'd say these girls are 4 or so days in. I'm growing Sweet Skunk Auto(as I've heard autos are easier for newbies). My light cycle is on 18/6 and I was planning on keeping it like that the entire time, as I heard that's a good option for Autos. Also, they're in solo cups right now with drainage holes, however once they're big enough I'm transplanting them into air pots. 
    Let me know if I'm doing anything wrong or right, or if ya guys need more pics or something. Thanks!

2. Put the lights closer to it, it's growing tall because it's reaching for light, it will keep growing until it's tall enough to receive the proper light, put the lights closer to it and bury it just under the  1st set of leaves so you dont put too much stress and weight on the stem

3. Thanks for the speedy reply! I lowered the lights by about a foot, it should be fine there. Of course I had to adjust the fan as well.
    when you say I should bury it close to the first set of leaves, do you mean just take the whole plant out and replant it? If that's the case I think I'll just plant them directly into the air pots to prevent further stress

4. No he doesn't mean that! Just fill it in with more dirt

5. You'd have to transplant it if you didn't have enough space in the pot, but I see you only put halfway dirt initially, so just fill the rest up until it has enough support

6. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1407869788.130250.jpg

Here look at this one thi was two days ago i topped it forst month of veg its 1 month and 2 weeks old . No preflowers yet but started out in a cup and transplanted never had to trnaplant again. Well not yet at least. Its growing without nutes so far organically . But i want to keep it small. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1407869879.246786.jpg

Btw start out putting it in the sun . Then go indoors. If your doin indoors keep lights close. Bout 2-4 inches. Also keep a fan . So it wont heat the plant up.

420_Grow