Long Distance Relationships

Discussion in 'Sex, Love & Relationships' started by Character Zer0, May 30, 2011.

1. I'm in a tricky predicament right now. My girlfriend brought this up for the first time the other night, and I'm not sure where this is going. We both love each other a lot, but she's going to be moving an hour and a half away for college while I stay here. I just don't see how I could possibly keep something like this going when I'll barely be able to see her, because talking over the phone just is not enough for me. I'm going to absolutely cripple my sex life by trying to keep this going, and I'm gonna feel obligated to stay away from naive college girls looking to bone.

I absolutely love her, and I hate to see her go. From guys who have been through this before, can it work? I really hope it can, but I just don't see how. Any advice from people who have been down this road?

2. How long is this going to last?

3. The long distance relationship can work, but it'll be hard as fuck.
    It'll require effort from the both of you.
    It's only an hour and a half away though... I don't really see the problem.
    And.. You're already thinking about being tempted by other chicks? Sounds like control issues.

4. #4 Me Gusta, May 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2011
    Dude, my girlfriend stayed back home when I went to huge party college 3 hours away. We used to see each other every single day and were inseparable during the summer and final year of high school. It was a tough change. To be honest, we used Skype every day and it was barely okay. I mean it wasn't nearly the same as being right there with her but it sorta did the job. It requires a lot of effort though. A LOT. If you're not prepared or committed, then it won't work. Now that I'm back home for the summer, we're spending a lot of time together. The relationship is damaged since it's not exactly the same as when I left but we're still a year strong. It'll take time to recover but it's just gonna suck when I go back down again in August. Was it worth it? Yes.

Just always talk to each other to keep the communication alive. If you have anymore questions you can PM or reply here.

5. I went through something similar. We mutually decided to split. She was moving a lot farther away than 90 minutes though.

6. Good luck bro! My hearts with ya

7. An hour and a half isn't that far away. You both will be busy during the week to see each other much anyways. Unless she brought it up to end it with you.

8. I have this same problem except my girlfriend is going to Oregon and i'm going to Nebraska. :p
    Sucks but i'll see her in paradiseee when i go home for the holidays.

9. maybe Skype? So you guys can see each other at least when you talk.

I dunno an hour and a half away isn't that bad, if your horny enough you'll find a way to get to her!

10. Seriously... like once in a while my girlfriend and I would take the train to see each other...and to have mad sex. Skype helps a lot though :)

11. long distance relationship is too hard to work out, better find someone close instead.

12. The answers are there man, is it worth staying with her or not? I don't mean to try and sound smart or anything, but only you can really decide. Personally I think that staying with her could do you more damage than breaking up with her. If you've broken up with her, you can get over it with time. However, if you're still with her... what is there to get over? You can't avoid the fact that she's a fair distance away from you. That said, is there no chance whatsoever you could go see her or she could come see you at any time?

13. I'm moving to Amsterdam and my g/f still has 2 years before she finishes highschool in Aruba. What should I do, I was thinking we should do that 'open relationship' thing. Just like stay friends(more then friends) but with no strings attached. And when we meetup again we will see how things are/go. What do you guys think?

14. You've already stated that it's not realistic. Why pretend?

15. My boyfriend and I lived 6 hours from each other. We met up in the middle a couple of times, he drove down to see me once for a few days. I flew up to see him once for a few days. I talked to him everyday on the phone or online. We video chatted a lot. And within a year's time I finally decided to move up to where he lived after becoming close to his friends. We are happier than ever moving on to 2 years! We smoke together almost every day now lol

16. Oh, the sex is incredible!

17. My girl and I faced a very similar situation at the start of this academic year. We were two and half hours away, and we made it work. It requires a lot of dedication, respect, and most of all, trust. It can be done as long as the two of you are committed to its success. Phone and skype are a must, as well as the occasional visit since you're not too far away. Good luck man, and the summer after your first year will reunite you before you know it. I'm on the cusp myself, and just have to make it to Thursday.:hello:

18. Some great advice guys, I appreciate it. I finally brought it up to her and we both agree to try and make it work. I made the drive to where she's going to school and it's really not THAT bad. That and it's a beautiful place so I'd really enjoy spending a weekend up where she lives every once in a while.

Skype is a great suggestion as well. Never really had the chance to use it, so we're going to give that a try. I think we can make it work even though it's not going to be quite the same.

19. My ex and I decided to break before it even became long distance. We knew it wouldn't cut it.

20. Glad. Good luck to ya and I really wish you both the best ^_^