lollipopping

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by laceysdad, Dec 1, 2010.

1. when is the latest time i can lollipop a plant? also, will it stress the plant if i lollipop and top the same plant? thanks

2. what the hell is lollipopping? ghaha

3. #3 TANKJR, Dec 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2010
    Lollipopping is trimming all the smaller weaker lower branches out of the plant to help it focus more on growing the upper buds, instead of a bunch of worthless popcorn buds. It looks kinda like a lollipop when done.

You can start in preflower, and do it up until about the 4th or 5th week of flower, but the earlier the better. I usually am done trimming (except for maintenance trimming) 2 weeks before flowering starts.

Grahamie needs to read more...haha! :)

4. I knew the method being talked about!:smoke:
    just not familiar with the term being used haha

is trimming during flowering considered a bad thing to do?

5. I do some, but I try to keep it to a minimum. Just maintenance. I guess it depends on who you ask. What I do is try to coerce the plant into making bigger buds by getting good light to all the buds at all times of the light cycle, and I don't have the space for light movers. Buds like blazing light and grow big if it's available, other factors being ignored. I try to keep it available. If a few fan leaves are in the way, I remove them, and some fan leaves do still grow in early flowering, no matter how much you took off initially. There are always enough fan leaves left on mine, so the plants stress is hopefully minimized. I do other things which are thought to help reduce stress too. Its best to trim before you water and early into the daily light cycle. Having said that, I don't do this technique anymore, because there are better ways to make sure each bud gets maximum light. See what's in the advanced techniques section of this site.

6. I start doing this at about a week before flowering and continue a few weeks into flowering. I know some people do it all at once but I prefer to just take a few leaves or small branches each day or two until I have everything under my scrog screen bare. Right or not, it works for me :) Pics in my sig

7. #7 samson32, Dec 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2010
    I wouldn't do it at the same time as topping.. Seems like it would stress the plant too much.. I don't lollipop since I use lst though so honestly it is all up to you.. A couple of branches here and there to direct growth or a topping won't be terrible for her, but do a little here and a little there so the girl can adjust..

Just be careful about overtrimming.. Especially things like leaves.. You are stressing the girl anytime you are taking off leaves that are still alive.. Plus you are taking away one of their main ways to get light.. Less light=less bud.. Goodluck with your grow op