Local Headshops (Greater Philadelphia Area)

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by WaxFace, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Believe it or not, Philadelphia is home to one of the dopest glass scenes in the country. With local artists such as:

Slinger
    JAG
    JOP
    Zach P
    Clout
    Diggy
    Hops
    Snic
    Elbo
    Coyle
    Germ
    Glass Munky

And many others (sorry if I left you out) Philly is definitely has one of the best scenes around

In Philadelphia there are many places to shop for that perfect piece that you can't wait to fire up, but where should you start? South street seems to be the Mecca of underground culture and degenerate art but is that the best place to get a good deal on a quality piece? You decide. My girlfriend and I have been to all the head shops in Philadelphia & South Jersey and together we have made a list of the best shops based upon personal preference, quality selection, reasonable pricing, and overall vibe of the shop. If I have missed any please let me know so I can go check them out. Here we go

Legend -
    Bad💫
    Poor ✨✨
    Average ⭐️⭐️⭐️
    Good 🌟🌟🌟🌟
    Elite 🔮🔮🔮🔮🔮
    Diamond 💎💎💎💎💎
    Insane 💥💥💥💥💥
    (Each shop gets one of these specific values as well as a rating out of 10)

🌃🌉🌇PHILADELPHIA🌇🌉🌃

Primal💥💥💥💥💥 💯 10
    500 Baltimore ave Springfield

Holy Smokes 💎💎💎💎💎9⃣ 9
    1619 grant ave

Munchies Reloaded / illadelphia
    🔮🔮🔮🔮🔮8⃣ 8
    3rd & South

Matchbox 🔮🔮🔮🔮🔮8⃣ 8
    6th and south

Creep records 🌟🌟🌟🌟7⃣ 7
    1050 n Hancock st 19123

Funny Monk Emporium 🌟🌟🌟🌟6⃣ 6
    4369 cresson st (manyunk)

Wonderland ⭐️⭐️⭐️5⃣ 5
    2037 walnut st 19103

Artifax ⭐️⭐️⭐️4⃣ 4
    2466 cottman ave

Glass on glass ✨✨2⃣ 2
    1346 south 9th st

Philly dream 💫1⃣ 1
    2nd & south

🏊🏡🌅SOUTH JERSEY🌅🏠🏊

Frolic on the pike 🔮🔮🔮🔮🔮8⃣ 8
    918 Whitehorse pike 08107

Flavor 🌟🌟🌟🌟7⃣ 7
    5301 marlton pike 08108 pennsauken

Connoisseur Smoke Shop
    🌟🌟🌟🌟7⃣ 7
    846 Delsea dr n Glassboro 08028

Elevate 🌟🌟🌟🌟6⃣ 6
    14 haddonfield-Berlin rd Vorhees

Milky Way Glass ⭐️⭐️⭐️5⃣ 5
    11 High St Glassboro

Jrs Strange Design ⭐️⭐️⭐️5⃣ 5
    5501 rt 42 08012

Scifli glass gallery ⭐️⭐️⭐️4⃣ 4
    4201 church rd 08054 mt laurel

Puff n pipes💫 2⃣ 2
    Black Horse Pike 08012

Atlantic City Boardwalk 💫1⃣ 1

2. There aren't enough people on this forum from philly to really get opinions.  That and most people on here aren't educated enough to give a rating system that is meaningful.

I see this a lot, a person goes to artifax and sees their cheap shitty pieces at somewhat low prices (but way overpriced for shit quality) then they go to a good store and see a fairly priced sov for 800 and think it's over priced.  In reality that shit piece is the one overpriced but it's still cheaper than good quality.

Artifax gets a 1.  The only reason they have a 1 is they have a roof so if it's raining you won't get wet.  It's a tiny basement out of the 80's with china glass at stupid prices.  Employees are clueless about glass, ignored me to talk to their buddies and were generally just weird.  It's a highschool crowd.

Munchies gets a -5 because they try to rob the shit out of everyone who goes into their shop.  And Uzi either lies or doesn't know his product.

I'll pm you, but leave this here to warn others not to shop at these stores.

3. Wanted to check in with you guys, have you been back to Creep Records since we expanded back in April?  We just keep adding stuff and are trying to be really on point with our knowledge.  Always American only where we are and try to be straight up.  Let us know how we're doing! Always looking to improve (especially for the knowledgeable customer!!)

Wanted to check in with you guys, have you been back to Creep Records since we expanded back in April?  We just keep adding stuff and are trying to be really on point with our knowledge.  Always American only where we are and try to be straight up.  Let us know how we're doing! Always looking to improve (especially for the knowledgeable customer!!)

4. Hi Creep Records,

Sorry to say, I have not yet stopped by your shop yet, but I'll have to stop in and check it out sometime.  What artists are you guys carrying?  My issue with a lot of shops in the region and I'm mainly speaking about my experience at munchies and artifax is they tax way too much.  I actually go out of my way to tell people not to shop at these places cause if you don't know glass, you'll get ripped off.

When I first started getting into glass, I went to Munchies on south street.  The guy, uzi, says "we have all the best brands, top glass"...I look on the shelf....HVY, SYN, ZOB, Roortech...not bad glass, but hardly the BEST (where's the sov and toros?).  Now, I know roortech is US made and the lampworkers aren't trained by the German house.  I look at the roors and ask the guy "are these german?"  the guy says yes.  American roors aren't made to the same quality as the german tubes, the sigs often look bad, cloudy, they run into the joints, and have poor placement.  He straight lied to my face.

So I see a sheldon black bubbler and ask the price, the guy says 600...with a straight face.  This is a simple prodo bubbler..600 is insane.  I tell him, I'm not trying to spend that much, he counters with what about 450.  I left and then found Primal in Springfield.  I saw the same Sheldon Black bubbler...the STICKER price was 250.  The manager tells me he'll give me 10% off it, so I bought it for 225.  Not only did I buy it for 225 (without any negotiation), they asked me to pick out a pack of rolling papers or blunt wraps for FREE, and then they threw in a free lighter, plus a bunch of 10% off cards.  Customer Service.  LOL at munchies...hey UZI, in the past 2 years I've spent well over 10K in glass, but since you wanted to tax me like 400+ on that bubbler, I'll never buy a piece from your shit store.[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Point is, don't rip people off, you never know when you're gonna lose a customer who's willing to spend racks.

5. Totally agree.  We don't do that.  In fact, we just came from the Joe Peters show at Front Street Gallery and bought a couple pieces and we have them out for the price they were listed at the gallery (we got an industry discount).  Point is we look at this stuff as art and accept that things like the Internet exist, unlike some stores.  It isn't always possible depending on where we get the item from, but we try to price very competitively.  We probably have everything you could ever want aside from Toro and Sovereignty.  We're still working on them but we don't want to carry them at an extremely overpriced amount just to be able to say we carry them unlike other stores.  Everything else though should leave you really pumped.  We have stuff:

Slinger
    JAG
    JOP
    Zach P
    Hops
    Snic
    Elbo
    Germ
    Joe Peters

Illadelph
    Pyrology
    Medicali
    RooR
    Dave Goldstein
    MGW
    HiSi

and many many more.  Stop in!

Oh forgot to mention also, EPIC collection.

I'll be sure to make a trip to check out your selection of glass....once I have some money to buy glass that is lol.  I bought something from the pipemasters collab show in seattle so I'm a little tapped out atm.  Marcel X Royal minitube :)  Any week that you get new glass, is a good fucking week in my book.

7. I just happened to stop by the Piazza this past weekend so of course I stopped into Creep Records to check out the updated inventory. I have a special love for the Creep shop because I can appreciate a mixture of Vinyl & Glass for sale under one roof. Your glass selection is above average, and you guys certainly rep the city artists well with a nice display of JOP Jag ZachP and Sling pieces... These pieces are understandably expensive so it makes sense why you guys have only a few of each artist. One thing I did notice was the lack of variety in mid size to smaller scientific pieces. Outside of the respective illadelph & medicali rigs, (which I love that you carry but also believe to be a slight bit overpriced) there wasn't much variety to satisfy that $150-300 range of glass in quality and matching functionality which was a bit disappointing. It would be difficult for me to recommend to a friend who may not be looking to spend $500+ for a quality piece. Still overall, shopping at Creep is a great experience. The energy and vibes are good, staff is knowledgeable and helpful, and the environment is a comfortable place to shop for glass. Overall I'd give you guys an updated 8/10 which is very good all things considered. Hope to stop in again soon and check out any further updates in inventory and maybe even pick out a piece to take home with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk