Living in the moment vs. Our past.

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by CupcakeCourtney, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Everyone has a past. You can remember things from when you were little and even more recently. If you think back to when you were 9 or 10, and compare who you were then to who you are now, you're COMPLETELY different. You're technically still you, but mentally, physically, emotionally, and even spiritually you're a different person.
    So my thought is, maybe, to truly grow and live "in the moment" we should let go of our past. I mean, maybe memories and past patterns are what keep us in the same cycles we hate. Like, if we go into every situation and have no reference point (everything is completely new) we could choose how to react to things. Things that once bothered us before don't have to matter anymore because we can decide how to deal with whatever problems we face. Instead of relying on "this is how I always deal with it..".

Any thoughts? :smoking:

2. very helpful outlook for anyone struggling with demons or just the every day grind

3. Well this isn't exactly easy to do.. our instincts and our pasts work together to help us survive.

4. Yeah, I know. I mean, we can't just force ourselves to forget what's happened to us.

I just mean in the sense of not letting your past behaviors dictate who you have to be in the future.

5. Yea definitely, i thought it was a beautiful an inspiring read, for real.

6. Thats how people with Alzheimers live every day lol :smoke:

7. This is true, but sometimes theres this special someone in your life that you can't get rid off

8. the only way to live is in the moment, otherwise you are just a sack of meat waiting to die.

just reading this you are being in the moment, how you respond to it might be your past acting upon your present.

dont let your ego take hold of you, just always be conscious and realize that you dont have to hate anything because nothing really matters.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sometimes it's hard to live in the moment. Nostalgia feels so....'right.' I've kept my memories in the back of my mind for some time now, just to remember how great life used to be. Right now I don't wanna let go.

10. Some things from the past shouldn't be forgotten. Part of what decisions we make currently depend on our past preference. I shouldn't stop knowing walking into a busy street full of speedy cars could be dangerous ya know.

I think what you mean is letting go of the emotional baggage that accompanies the past. Most of the time we do heal emotionally, when we don't we end up with traumatic stress disorder. This is a serious thing and I imagine many of us have it at some level. I don't mean we're all walking around shell shocked from some insane traumatic experience but I imagine the past has a bigger affect on our current decisions than we think.

How do we know if the decisions we make tomorrow had something to do with what happened to us yesterday? Are we able to think that much outside the box to 'know' if we are?

11. In quantum physics it talks about how the observer is the one that collapses upon the wave of infinity to manifest reality, and every collapse becomes a stored wave in your mental self. Every time a thought is...thought it becomes more likely every single time to come into fruition again. Eventually if you are unaware of this you may become so clouded with conditioned responses that you do not even realize you have given up your freedom. So I definitely can agree with what you're saying. We don't necessarily have to forget the past but just do not let it define us, and always remember that the only true moment is now. If we make a conscious positive effort/intention to keep our minds open to all avenues and possibilities of life/reality/ideas/whatever then it will become ingrained into your consciousness intrinsically and there will be much more likelihood of a completely new and truly creative collapse/thought/manifestation/whatever.

Wow I forgot how much I love the vape :smoking:

Also Courtney I love you so much =)
    I haven't been on grassity in a while and this was the first thread I clicked on before I even saw it was by you

12. I have to disagree here. Observation is part of the situation for the collapsing of wave functions of particles but new-agers like Depak Chopra try to twist this into telling us the more we think about an outcome the more probable it is to happen. This is just not true, QM doesn't say that in the least.

13. I don't know much about what deepak chopra teaches but if its anything like "If you think daily 'I will have a ferrari in my garage' and then all of a sudden it will become manifest" I definitely don't see the validity in that

However every single time your brain has a thought neurons fire creating a pathway
    Everytime that same neuron fires it creates a neuronet making those same thoughts much more likely to happen again. This is basic psychology.

Theres lots of books that have been written regarding how to access creativity from people of all different pathways, spiritualists, doctors, sports players, writers, artists, and scientists/quantum physicists . In the end these people all end up saying almost the same thing
    Keeping a truly open mind to all things and aspects of the world not having doubt in anything
    although that doesnt mean you have to see validity in everything
    but the more weighed down your mind is with conditioning or preconceived notions the less likely it is for new neurons to fire for new collapses to occur and for new thoughts and ideas to happen.

14. I feel like you sort of just described being high lol.

When you're high everything seems new and exciting. You don't think about the past or future just the moment and how much fun the moment is. Everything gets a fresh coat of paint and a new perspective.

15. I've heard of him before. Not of this book, though. I will definitely take a look. Thanks for sharing! :hello:

Dyani my dear, I've missed you. I love you too. You so would choose my thread. :wave:

Zero, obviously you can't just start with a clean slate every morning. But like Dyani was saying everytime you repeatedly fire those neurons of a thought, it becomes more likely to happen. If you trigger yourself to think bad thoughts and imagine the worst possible outcome, it's much more likely to happen than anything positive you've stored in your brain. This is why conditioned responses are conditioned. I'm talking about breaking those conditions so you can choose your reaction to something instead of relying on previous habits.

Shanx420, you're so right. I like to get suuuper high and surround myself with creative outlets. Pencils, crayons, books, markers, musical instruments, crazy clothes, etc. Just to see what my high self will create fresh and new and in this very moment unconcerned with past or future. Love it! Great insight!

16. the past should be used as a tool, and not define who we are, because who we are, is never complete, in this aspect of thinking...

it is a tool to be used now, to be used in light of the future

the past is important, but only to the future, the now just feels so irrelevant, because it is just time passing, so as time passes into the past from the future, that single point of perception is the now, so now would be the point in applying the past as the future passes, but then that would mean the now could be as long as anyone subjectively could define it, it could be one word, or a marathon

at what point does the future become the past? There is none, tis all an illusion

17. We are born to pay for the past.