Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Liver or Cannabis Use?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by ThrowawayNeedsAdvice, Mar 21, 2016.

1. This is my first time posting but..A little while ago I experienced some liver trauma and had an internal laceration. This caused me to internally bleed and require blood transfusions and an operation. Since then (7 months later) I have consistently experienced moderate to intense liver/abdominal pain and even digestion issues that I have used cannabis for and a myriad of prescription and over the counter medicines to try to help the symptoms. Immediately when I left the hospital the remedy that worked the most and had the most effect was the cannabis, which allowed the symptoms to slightly subside and my hunger to always return especially later in the day. These pain symptoms of cramping and digestive issues are most common in the morning, though the random liver pain is consistent.
    So the reason I'm posting is today I heard similar symptoms are actually common in chronic cannabis use. While I know very much about the benefits of it and it helping medically, I smoked chronically as well before my injury and persistent symptoms, without experiencing the relief from nausea and pain myself until after release from the hospital. Though I know of its positive benefits similar symptoms seem to occur with a condition caused by chronic consumption of marijuana known as Cannabis Hyperemesis syndrome. This is said to cause 1. Nausea 2. Vomitting 3. Cramping/abominal pain (often under the right shoulder blade and possibly right abdomen near the liver region). Often I feel pain in both the front right side on my liver and back under my shoulder blade, generally that whole lateralization on on right side. This is in part due to scarring despite the livers regenerative abilities. Although, I am worried that the sickness coupled with this pain in the morning is caused by this rare condition. I have been a frequent cannabis user for a few years so it is hard to tell what exactly is the cause especially due to the fact my liver injury is not a condition but a trauma.
    While I do not experience vomitting persay, I do experience other digestive issues such as nausea, indigestion, stomach/intestinal pain, other digestive/bowel issues as well as the pain in the regions (though that could be coincidental). I also do take hot showerw when I get sick...O.O but that seems anecdotal because I've always enjoyed those personally...
    Someone who knows more on this topic/condion PLEASE HELP!! It would be sad if the one substance that has been most effective with those and other symptoms, was actually causing them. Not saying I necessarily need cannabis but I use it frequently for appetite and pain and don't have or want any other remedies./: So someone with information on the topic or cannabis's effects on the liver positive or negative, thank you :)

TLDR: Is my previous liver trauma or a condition such as Cannabis Hyperemesis syndrome causing my abdominal pain, nausea, and digestive pain/issues? And what effects do cannabis have on the liver positive or negative?