Live updates: Violence across Egypt after Cairo sit-ins attacked

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Swills, Aug 14, 2013.

1. #1 Swills, Aug 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2013
    Violence in Egypt is growing as pro Morsi/Muslim Brotherhood supporters continue their protests, blocking traffic, attacking police stations and engaging in firefights so in response the police are coming down hard on them. On the flip side, authorities are detaining journalist, beating them, and confiscating their belongings while stopping them from reporting. Ironically, Iran condemns the massacre of the protesters. 

See link for full report

</blockquote></div></div>

2. #2 dubaba, Aug 14, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  3. The US will always send Egypt foreign aid. 

4. #4 dubaba, Aug 14, 2013
    I just heard it being talked about getting cut because the military coup, but I guess they never did.

5. Yes, despite of US law forbidding aid to coup regimes, we are still backing the military dictatorship of Egypt by refusing to call the coup a coup. Rand Paul was trying to cut off aid to Egypt but he was defeated because AIPAC ordered the Senate to continue the flow of weapons and money to the Egyptian regime.

I hope it doesn't get any worse than it's already gotten today. They have declared a state of emergency to last for the next 30 days. So far nearly 100 have been killed and another 875 injured.

The Obama regime will "call for all sides to show restraint" but little more than that.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Just finished reading those. Damn that girl got some balls. Sounds like Egypt is heading for civil war if it hasn't started already.

7. I remember there were rumblings of that before the coup but those noises quieted down once the coup took place. The US sent aid to Egypt when the MB was in power so I dunno what it would take for the US to not send money. They set the bar pretty low. 

8. It could head towards a civil war but the pro MB/Morsi crowd are greatly outnumbered by military, police, and Egyptian citizens. Remember, the coup took place because Egyptians broke the world record by protesting in the millions, well over 14 million. 

Even with foreign Islamist, the MB crowd doesn't stand a chance. And let's not forget Egypt's close ally, Israel. 

They simply refuse to call it a coup. Some fine linguistic trickery. I wouldn't be surprised if the US actually gave their blessing to the military to oust Morsi. Think about it, the US basically funds this military and it was a close and powerful ally during the Mubarak era. Then Morsi comes with his Muslim Brotherhood, it's no stretch of the imagination to think that the US is suspicious, especially once he started taking powers away from the military (who are likely pro-US, since the US pays them) and excluding other political parties from government.

I would be very surprised if there was no communication between the Egyptian military and the US before and during the coup. When there is 1.5 billion dollars a year on the line, you're going to check with your sugar daddy before you do anything rash.

10. #10 TheDankery, Aug 14, 2013
    How many coups has the US been a part of in the Middle East? Maybe a half-dozen since 1953. I wouldn't be shocked if the Egyptian military and the US collaborated deeply to unseat Morsi. We give Egypt and others military aid to 1) provide corporate welfare to the US arms industry and 2) buy loyalty, buy friends, buy leverage and buy influence.

I'm sure we had some level of involvement in the coup, but I look at it as more a of a coup behind the scenes. Egypt went from being controlled by the Qataris to being controlled by the Saudis.

I don't believe the military would have done it without our permission. Morsi didn't seem to want to do anything about Egypt's horrid economy, mostly he just tried to concentrate power and impose stricter Islamist rules on the people. Egypt's economy must be turned around before what little is left collapses into failure, that should be the number one priority of whoever is in charge in Egypt after some semblance of order is restored. Morsi was a bad leader but that doesn't justify taking him out and it certainly doesn't justify the violence we've seen since he was removed.

Over 13 million people voted for the Ikhwan in 2012. Morsi was democratically elected, he was the legitimate leader who enjoyed and still enjoys widespread support. What is the thinking behind the military's moves? Massacring them left and right bring only suffering to Egypt, it does nothing good for anyone. There are nearly 300 dead and over 1000 injured just today, much of them Ikhwan supporters.

I wonder - will the Ikhwan be outlawed, banned and forced underground again?

As anyone could've predicted, of course the US asks that they "show restraint".

Doesn't this guy wear exactly the outfit that you would imagine a military dictator would wear? LOL

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  11. #11 TheDankery, Aug 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2013
    So Obama's going to come out and make a statement about Egypt in just a few minutes.

I think he'll call for restraint by all sides but he won't call the coup a coup and he will be very careful about the words he chooses to condemn the actions of the military.

We're still not going to cut the military aid to Egypt though, even with hundreds of Ikhwan killed and thousands injured at the hands of the military.

Obama's got to be pissed that his vacation in Martha's Vineyard is being interrupted. This violence in Egypt is cutting into his time he wanted to spend improving his golf game and playing basketball ;)

edit: So looks like he will cancel a military exercise with Egypt. Just a symbolic gesture really.

I'm sure Obama will condemn the burning of churches, allegedly at the hands of Ikhwan supporters.

Obama just started talking...

edit again: LOL, he called the military coup a "military intervention". Still won't use the C-word.

So he did cancel the exercise and of course condemned the attacks on churches. .. Well, anyone could've seen that coming.

last edit: Obviously we're not cutting the aid. Duh.

Obama more or less was like "Show restraint, you motherfuckers. I'm trying to work on my putting skills and chill in Martha's Vineyard and ya'll over here fucking up my vacation. Alright... peace out".

Does anyone think the military gives a fuck about that exercise being canceled? They had no problems killing 500 people yesterday. Are they really going to get scared and change their ways because we're not going to train with them? Get out of here.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Obama wanted Morsi out. He probably told the Egyptian military "hey guys, do what you gotta do, if you have to kill some civilians we might bark a little but we won't bite."

• Like Like x 1