Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Little white strands in my weed?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by Graphiix, Feb 18, 2016.

1. So I bought some weed from a new guy, and the weed is absolute fire. I know for a fact that the guy I got it from is reputable, as a few of my co-workers are related to the guy I bought from, and they have never had an issue with it. Always been reputable. Just getting that out of the way.

However, I just the weed I bought from him had little strands in it, it almost looked like white hair strands. I'm not talking about the crystals on the bud, they're little white hairs almost. They look like cat hairs from a white cat. They're long enough to pull on, and they really came out when I cracked open the nug. I'd love to get pictures, but I don't currently have the weed on me.

I smoked some earlier and it seemed fine, but I'm still paranoid about it, and it kind of ruined my high.

Do you guys have any ideas what it could be? I read some places that it could be mold, and I've read some others say they were fiber strands. Should I toss the weed, or should I keep it?

2. are they wispy like spiders webs? If so it sounds a lot like Botrytis, a type of mold that can be harmful if consumed. A little bit likely wont do anything to you unless you are sensitive to it, but its best to just avoid it.

3. #3 Graphiix, Feb 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2016

I'm not really sure what you mean by "wispy". I'll try to find a picture.

That's obviously cat hair, but that's what it looks like. Little short hairs like those. They almost look like plastic strands. The weed looks really fresh, it doesn't look moldy at all.
    [​IMG]

4. I have 2 dogs and 2 cats at home. No matter how hard I try, my jars always get some sort of animal hair in them and on the buds. It's probably just animal hair of some sort.

5. #5 killset, Feb 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2016
    . Its might be pet hair. I love my dogs to death but they don't get to come inside my grow. My buddy has a cat and when his plants get sticky its like a giant cat hair magnet. Its freaking gross. He doesn't even try to keep her out. He keeps his dog out because it ate a bunch of plants once. I wish that cat would. He's a good friend, I just don't like his cat hair weed. It would help identifying your issue if you had an actual pic of the weed

Sent from my XT1028 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. I went and looked at the weed a little bit closer, and after taking a second look, I found no hairs at all.

I'm pretty sure I know where they came from, however.

I used a grinder for the first time in months today, and I accidentally grinded up a fairly large stem. I'm almost positive the little hairs are fibers from the stems, as my friend said he had the same issue too.

I'm 99.9% sure it's fibers from the stems, if anyone was curious.

7. You're 1st post said it was in the nug when you cracked it. That wouldn't be from a grinder.

Sent from my XT1028 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. Yea, this is why pets aren't allowed in the growroom. Cats in heat will rub their crotch against anything.

9. Mold or residue from an insect in the harvest that made a web around and inside it. It can happen.