Little or no stretch

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by sfman, Jan 1, 2010.

1. This Nirvana NL plant is four weeks old, looks great and healthy, but it has little stretch after 28 days. I use Iguana Grow and a DWC system? It has six/seven nodes, just very little space between nodes. It is about 4 to 5 inches tall, but as you can see it's broad and healthy and very green, root structure is great. I've started a little bit of LST to conserve space in case it does go crazy with a stretch, but that is all. Temps range from 70 to 80 degrees.

Is it okay to start the 12/12 period? Is having little stretch a bad thing? This is my forth grow and I've never experienced such a short stretch. I have about 30" above it, so space is not an issue if it does stretch during the flowering portion.

I started with a 150w Compact Fluorescent with built-in ballast for the first two weeks, very close to the plant, but it caused no burning. Maybe the CFL should have been a little further away. Then I went with the new 400w Hortilux Super HPS with the larger blue spectrum at two weeks and they have been on them for the last two weeks. I do not have a MH, and cannot afford one at this time, maybe next grow.

I also suspect the Advanced Nutrients. I am only using Iguana Grow, and AN suggests a number of other supplements. I am looking into that.

I've also heard that many people would rather have a low short plant than a stretchy one.

Attached Files:

2. You can start 12/12 whenever you want to. You can do this from a seedling and produce hella small buds haha.

Don't worry about the bushiness, it is normal and shouldn't effect yield to a noticable degree.

Everything looks fine, IMO if you got the space and time, I would grow her out for another 2 weeks give or take.

Mine are extremely bushy also and I have had no problems :p

3. You are mistaken on this statement. The reason stretch matters, and the amount of space you have above it does NOT matter is because. Artificial light only penetrates so far into the canopy. The farther you let them strtch, the less light the entire plant recieves. Which in turn makes buds light and airy. Artificial light isnt powerful enough(like the sun) to penetrate much past a foot or 2. Keep the plants as short as possible when using artificial light. Hope this helps...

4. the bushier the plant the better man. i have noticed in my last two grows that CFL's create super bushy plant, which i prefer. shorter bushier plants make dense buds, i would veg that beast a while longer it will reward you in return.

5. YES! Exactly.

I just want to add, don't forget that when you decide to flower, YOUR PLANT WILL CONTINUE TO GROW A BIT. I'm telling you this because I don't want you to say "I have 30 inches till the top, I'll veg it 30 more inches!" Just keep that in mind

Stay chill my /b/rothers