Linux + Programming Languages + Web Development

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by Coup D'etat, May 17, 2010.

1. Hello smart computer people,

I'm just wondering what grounds I should start on in learning more about computers, and more specifically about programming languages (C/C++) web development (HTML5, CSS, PHP, anything deeper).

Ultimately I hope to be able to make my own financial programs and web sites. I have experience with websites (made my own in the past, altered PHP, yade yah), but pretty limited to computers. I know hardware, just up until the point of being ripped off/saving money. I can reformat without problems, no viruses, this and that. I have sufficient, and am able and capable of learning and accomplishing.

So where do I begin? I was thinking about getting a dummies book on C++ and a new desktop to fool around with. Install Linux on that and go from there? I'l need a laptop with Windows OS for work/life/etc.

I'm going to start using text editor instead of Dreamweaver. That program just enables me to alter instead of create. And thats what I want to know. The inner workings and depth of this.

Goals:
    -Create Human Resources software/websites
    -Create finance software (personal finances & calculators to trading and financial analyst programs at Hedgefunds and shit)
    -Take over the world.

So lemme know.

2. You've got it covered. Just buy a book about the language you want to learn. Usually they'll include a CD with a development environment, or you can just download your own. Web development's not my area, but the languages you mentioned, plus Java or Javascript should cover what you need to know.

3. Any one language you learn at first is always the hardest, but once you have one down pat, all others will be easier to remember.

Now, you said you want to do Financial programs, so I don't know if you mean online or as an executable application; both are very different.

Let me tell you, C/C++ is a VERY hard language to learn and C is different from C++ not not all that similar.

Most learn Visual Basic and Java. I suggest those or Python (which is also very easy) for learning as a language before starting C. The problem with C is that it isn't forgiving at all and gives you ultimate control at the expense of leaving your programs much more prone to errors, thus being frustrating.

Also, while Linux is best, you can use any OS honestly. As for books, just pick up any book based on the best reviews and you should be set.

4. C++ isn't a hard language to learn, although it is "harder" than most. After you get through it every other language will be even more of a cake walk.
    Python and VB are garbage don't waste your time.

5. #5 Holocron, Jun 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2010
    VB is garbage but Python definitely is NOT garbage and is your best choice. IMO. It's simple, the syntax is clean, and it's very well documented. And very powerful. Look up Python for Software Design on Amazon, I'd say it's the best book for starting out. I also took an introductory college course that doesn't teach a language, but rather programming concepts in pseudocode and flowcharts. The book is called Programming Logic & Design.

As for web languages, I'd go HTML -> CSS -> Javascript -> PHP go to w3schools.com it's hands down the best website for learning any web language.

6. i hate how people always say Vb is garbage, it a very easy and power language to learn, its great for beginners but its not the best programming language to learn, they all have their ups and downs.

Op, i would recommend starting with C# or C because they're easier languages for someone to pick up IMO but C++ might be a better bet for the long term.

7. Python isn't garbage AT ALL.

VB is perfect for beginners and allows you to ease into programing. He can just go straight to C if he desires so, but learning VB first helped me.

And C++ isn't as easy as those, though is easier than C.

8. C++ is an industry standard, nobody gives a fuck about python or vb

9. This comment shows just how little you know. C++ and languages such as Python or VB are totally different worlds and cannot be compared, and all are WIDELY used

10. Okay, python sure, but vb.. ugh

11. I think this depends what the OP wants to do. OOP is far slower than structured programming, even though it's the rage. C, and C++ take less development time.

Sometimes it's good to learn at the top, if you can be passionate about it. But whatever keeps you interested would be the best.

There's an interesting server that I downloaded myself, called RTMPD which is a real-time messaging server.

It's used for flash AS3, and is designed to stream videos and audio, and if you get into it, you can write your own application server as well; which would be a good learning experience.

The server is written in C++, and compiles on Linux BSD and windows. The windows version of this software isn't updated anymore, just maintained, so if you just want to play with it then it's fine, but if your serious then not so much.

The compiler I use on a windows system is called Flash Develop. You can download that and the Flex SDK open source.

12. #12 Mezmiro, Jun 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2010
    What type of financial calculations and database operations are you expecting? I'm considering Oracle for your database and depending on your needs, Mathematica can be piped from both directions. If there's a Mathematica API I wouldn't be too surprised. If you're utilizing interest derivatives or supply/demand curve integration, you might get away with something less powerful.

Why are you deciding to use Linux? Do you actually, truly know how to utilize the power of *nix systems or are you just bullshitting? People keep telling me they think Linux is the best OS ever, but if you can't program in C++, you can't use Linux to its full potential. Period. There's too much on a *nix system that needs to be modified and maintained for it to be a sort of passing thought.

If you do decide to program your server on Linux or use a base server platform, realize that sockets and the kernel are completely different than in Windows. You'll have to learn a new system of headers and multithreading when you switch over to the OS that pays bigger bucks. If you decide to program for an income, stay with Windows. It sucks, but *nix programmers only get paid bank for corporate contracts.

Edit: As for an IDE, that's entirely personal preference. I was using notepad and a GNU compiler for a few years before I decided that bigger projects require something like Dev-C++, VC++ or NetBeans.

13. #13 Judgement, Jun 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2010
    As much as I dislike MS and VB, VB is a powerful language and again, widely used. I know of more than a few firms that use VB exclusively for various uses. Try trash talking VB on a interview with one of those companies, you won't get the job, and they'll still be making a healthy living off of VB.

Now I find myself talking about programming languages in a thread where the OP has been banned...

14. #14 thexnobody, Jun 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2010
    This is hilarious. A lot of Google infrastructure is written in Python. So yeah, garbage...

And all derivations of BASIC are still pretty handy and VB is actually a really good way to learn Event-Driven programming.

But to the OP, I would learn the web stuff. The days of software on a CD are over. AJAX-based web applications are all the rage.