Links between video games and violent behaviour?

Discussion in 'Gamer's Heartbeat' started by Verdant Nature, Dec 4, 2008.

1. I know this probably belongs in Gamers Heartbeat, and if it does then by all means move the topic, but I feel I will get far more replies in this section.

I'm doing primary research for my media project, investigating whether or not violent video games cause increased aggression in male users? Because of my secondary research, which included the Bobo Doll model and news reports, I have concluded that femaes are generally less naturally aggressive than males and furthermore play video games a lot less. Obviously there are exceptions to this conclusion but in general I believe this to be the case.

As players of video games, do you personally feel an increase in aggression after a heavy session on a violent game such as GTA or Fallout 3? If so, to what extent is this increase? Do you believe young males playing these games are more likely to emulate the behaviour they witness in these games and commit violent crimes? Or do you believe that video games have no effect on users whatsoever and that links between them and violence are complete nonsense?

Please be as honest and detailed as possible. Thank you

2. all i've noticed is violent video games (from personal experience w/ me and my friends) only lead as an outlet for out own anger, making us violently angry in the video game, and leaving us feeling better afterwards. For instance, my friends andi always comment "GTA IV is so real, i would never even have the urge to kill someone, i'd rather just merck heads in GTA, and then be on with real life" .... violent video games seem to just act as an outlet, somewhat similar to alcohol, or excercising, or whatever. I dont think it plays any role in how we act as a person, just another distraction, and outlet. lets face it, you occasionally get the urge to just fuckin strangle someone, but you know its immoral, and the consequences aren't worth it. its just something ud never consider. but when ur in a video game, theres no emotional ettachment, blow that fuckin douchebags head off

3. Thanks man, that's a really helpful answer. The kind of stuff I can use in my essay.

+Rep right at ya

4. Through observational learning, video games could effect children or adults so they may be more likely to act in an aggressive manner, although I only play video games for fun and never feel any form of aggression.

5. Correlation, not causation.

6. Man what the fuck is this Rhythm of Life prick giving me -rep for?

I posted it in this section because my research has to be in very shortly and by posting it in this section it will generate far more replies far more quickly. If a mod see's fit to move it then they will.

7. your conclusion about women being less aggressive and playing less video games is wrong. instead why don't you state it as this -- games with more violence and aggressiveness generally appeal to audiences of males more than females, thus the high audience of male gamers playing these kinds of games.

it's not that females are less aggressive, it's just that these games don't try to appeal to the female audience that much. ya dig?

8. <--Resident expert on the topic. I took a class called video games and society this semester, the assigned reading was entitled "Killing Monsters: Why Children Need Fantasy, Super Heroes, and Make-Believe Violence." That book is the end-all for any argument that supposes a causal link between video game violence and real-world violence. It's an easy read, and it tackles every argument, theory, and flawed research study that attempts to paint that biased picture.

The fact is, lots of media causes a spike in aggression in the viewers, including video games. However, this is a short term effect and it is observable from shows even like the Power Rangers, which will excite little kids into running around and acting out their fantasies, which often include play violence. Ultimately, not only does violence in media including video games not have a harmful effect, it has a beneficial effect. I would write more but I'm a little burnt out from discussing the topic and it's been a couple weeks since I've discussed it to any length. I really recommend you check it out though, author is Gerard Jones.

9. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobo_doll_experiment

Read that, it suggests otherwise my friend

10. If your playing violent video games, your most likely above the age of 17 (which you have to be in order to purchase those kind of video games)
    The Bobo Doll thing was based on children in their early childhood. Children will react totally different from young adults.
    In my opinion, video games have no correlation with violence in young adults. Kids are a different story. Children are more impressionable and they mimic what they see. Thats how they learn things, by copying their parents and peers. By the time your a young adult, you have more of your own mind, and a concept of right and wrong, and your more your own person. Thats why there are age restrictions on games.

11. My exam is on the 21st of January. Anymore useful insight into this topic would be vastly appreciated.

12. I agree with a post earlier that said it is an outlet...truthfully I would be more angry at people if I didn't have video games to play or ganj to smoke.

13. If you could ask a couple more specific questions for what type of information you're looking for I'll sit down some day soon and type up what I remember learning from the book I read about this. Also, are you arguing for or against a link, or just presenting kind of an all-encompassing view on the topic? What's the exam gonna be like?