Lighting question for small SOG

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by waddlecaudle, Jan 21, 2013.

1. #1 waddlecaudle, Jan 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2013
    I don't exactly have minimum space, but I am trying to convert some semi-finished attic space into a small sea of green grow (very small). I am hoping to do 8-12 plants on rotation (clone/gestation --> growth (~8") --> flowering/harvest (~16")).

My question is, with all of the crazy lighting technologies that are out there, does anyone have any recommendations on lighting. I do NOT want to use HPS or any heater that doubles as a light. This, from what I have seen, pretty much limits me to CFL, Fluorescent Tubes, and LED.

I want to be able to plug into a general wall outlet, want to be able to run a single ballast on each section of rotation, and want to keep heat down. I would like to have a solid quantity, but I am willing to sacrifice quantity for quality. I don't expect HID yields, so I don't need people to tell me that I won't get HID yields. I am not trying to provide weed for everyone and their mother, brother, and sister. I don't need huge yields... just yields that make me happy haha.

I have read up, but honestly a big problem is that it is hard to find reliable recommendations. A lot of people make recommendations based on poor grows, but don't mention that they also didn't water properly and had inconsistent conditions. Or they give you some great info and then at the bottom link to their website that sells the product. I just want some good, educated opinions... and I thank you Grass City members for providing that :)

2. #2 thevines2, Jan 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2013
    if space and cash isnt that much of an issue go for a multi tube 4 foot t5 fixture

can pick them up under 150 bucks and they will push 300+ watts off single plug

6tube or 8 tube fixtures are 6-8x bulbs at 54w each and barely any heat ofc

[​IMG]

those run about 160 bucks free shipping on ebay

4700 ish lumens per tube
    37,600 about lumens off it
    432 total watts

3. That was the direction I was thinking but wasn't sure if fluorescent tubes were the best bet. Thanks for the advice

4. Are you gonna start a journal? I would really like to see this setup and grow. My sog has change to just perpetual. The new cfls I got I placed vertically within my plants.

5. I was thinking about it, since there is interest I likely will. How are you liking the straight flower technique?

6. Works great for me since I have very little space for tall plants. Will you have a mother plant going?

7. Isn't the T5 available as High Output (HO)? I am not up to speed on the latest for plants but that is what I used when I had a reef tank

8. ya t5 ho 4 foot is 54 watts compared to t8's being 32 watts

9. Sorry for the late reply. They are HO, but it is a relative HO. They still don't achieve the wattage that HPS produce over a compact space. But the reason I was leaning towards them was because of the relative HO compared to LEDs and CFLs that I have looked into.

If I get one that I would like to keep going then I likely will have make space for a mama.