Lighting for Seedlings?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Ap0calypt1c, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Hey guys, I'm currently using a 400 watt HPS/MH light in a 2 by 2 by 4 foot tall grow box, and I'm doing the SCROG method for my height.

So far, my light isn't air cooled, so the temperature and heat was a bit much, but I am going to install a fan at the opposite end of the hood/reflect from the bulb as well as a glass panel so the heat is insulated into a pocket inside the hood.

Right now, I have 3 seeds that have just sprouted, and are planted in their starter cups just an hour ago. I'm wondering though, is 400 watts too much energy for them at the moment? I don't have any fluorescent or CFL's nearby suitable for growing, other than a 2700 K desk lamp 13 W bulb by my computer which I could move near to the plants, and I'd much rather not have to spend more money on lighting just for the seedlings.

Any help on this would be much appreciated!!

2. 400w is way to much for seedling, they need heat and soft light for the first week, your 400w is for 4'x4'x7, twice the size, unless you enlarge the tent you will heat issues, go test now!

3. The general temperature of the temp isn't necessarily the problem though, as it is currently at 85 to 90 degrees fahrenheit, but note, that is with direct heat radiating off the light to the screen. I'm hoping the glass panel, when installed, will lower the temperature of the area where the plants are growing by 5 to 10 degrees as it'll be insulating the heated air into a pocket which will be blown away with a fan into the exhaust.

Is it possible to use several layers of pretty fine mesh on top of my current screen that's meant for the LST phase to weaken the amount of light reaching the starter cups?