Lighting Decisions - need help

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Sloppy G, Apr 22, 2007.

1. I'm a first time grower, germinated my seeds (random collection, probably indica) about 15 days ago and on the most parts I think my plants are doing fine. Only problem is that I think they're growing just a little slow and it might be because of the lights.
    [​IMG]
    Right now i'm using two 23 Watt CFL and a 15 Watt Fluorescent for a total of 4200 Lumens in a 4 ft^2 grow space with 5 small plants. When flowering starts I plan to replace one of the CFL's with 2 100 Watt 1700 Lumen Halogen Lamp.
    [​IMG]

My question is, first of all, do you think that the plants are growing fast enough (average of about 5 inches in 15 days)? I dont think so. Assuming they are, do you think this is a lighting problem?

Although I'm assuming it's a lighting problem, I'm also wandering if under-watering or over-watering could do the same thing? I use about a quart of water every day or two.

My dilemma pretty much is that I dont think my plants are growing fast enough, but is it worth it to buy a 170 dollar lighting system when I'm not even sure the light is the problem if there is a problem at all.

Anyway, just looking for opinions, not really sure what to do anymore, maybe planting more seeds'll keep me occupied for a while so I dont worry so much, I've got like 50 of 'em, might as well.

2. they look ok ,maybe a little small ....the more light the better ,maybe get some some more cfls and make sure there 6400k for vegging .
    i wouldnt use a halogen light they give of way to much heat and i think there in the wrong spectrum for flowering ,u would be better off getting a hps for flowering it will be worth it in the end ,or use cfls in 2700k spectrum but dont use the halogen light.

3. oh yeah and those lights are way to far from the plants ( unless there just there for the pics ?) they want to be like 2 or 3 inches from the tops of the plants .
    looks like they have ben stretching for the light ,i would fill them pots up with ur soil to the top and get those lights real close ,that should help loads .

4. Loose the halogen, does nothing for you..... The cfl throw most thier light out the sides so if possible get them horizantal to the plants, you will have to reconfigure your reflectors...Your plants look good for 15 days but get that light closer.....Get the light as close as possible without the heat from the bulb getting to close to the plants use the back side of your hand I would guess about 4 inches would be good;;;;

5. Wow, ok, I had the lights way too far away then, I'll definitely move them closer.

And I checked: the 15 Watt tube is at 3000k while the two 23 Watt CFL's are at 2700K, so that should be fine, right?

I've been thinking of filling the pots up with more soil, but I would risk burying the embryonic leaves, is that fine, or would it harm the plants? maybe I'll just add enough to get right below the leaves.

Wow, thanks for all the advice guys, I'm gonna go move the lights right now and start adding some soil.

P.S.: Are the 6500K flurescent in CFL or Tube? Cuz I'm definitely not gonna use the halogens anymore.

6. Ok, i've fixed the lights and added more soil didn't have any problem with the embryonic leaves, the soil didn't need to get that high.

One last question: How often should I water the plants? Actually, a better way to word that is: How can I tell that a plant needs rewatering?

7. ok the lights you have 2700k and 3000k are best suited for the flowering stage ,if i was you id get some of the spiral cfls 6400k there dirt cheap ,get as many as you can and the highest watt as you can .use them for the vegging and save the lights you have now for when u switch to flowering.
    sounds like you have topped the soil ok ,that will toughen them up a bit .
    with the watering a method i use is too let the soil dry out ,feel its weight ,then water give it a good water so the soil is evenly waterd through the whole pot ,and feel the weight again ,with a bit of practise you will be able to tell when they need wateriing just by the weight of the pots .you could buy a moisture meter or do it by sticking your finger in the pot but i think the weight method is best .for me it usualy ends up that i water them about every 2 or 3 days .hope this helps good luck.

8. Ok, I'll go get the 6500K Lights today and maybe another lamp.

But the watering, I'm supposed to let the soil feel dry to the touch before I water it again? How deep should the 'dryness' go? cuz the surface usually dries out before the rest. Should I just check it at like an inch or so below the surface?

9. Exactly.

10. Ok, thanks man.

Now, how often should I feed them, there isn't really a way to tell, is there? Right now I'm experimenting with Miracle Gro (24-8-16) and Shultz (10-15-10), I think, I'll switch to just Miracle Gro for now because of the high nitrogen for vegetative growth. But I still need to know how often to feed them.

Anyway though, I went to Home Depot and it was $7 for one Sunlight (6000k) compact fluorescent, which is much better than $160 for mh+hps but they were out of stock. The regular 2700K Bulbs should be fine for the next few days right?

~Thanks In Advance~

11. yeah they will be ok for a few days but get the right bulbs as soon as poss .
    i wouldnt feed them anything for now let them get established first they will be fine without any nutes for a while longer yet .

12. Yeah, they'll let you know when they need food. Spend your free time reading everything you can get your hands on. Just search for grow guides and search the forum. Your soil looks good but you should be filling those pots as high as you can. That way you're using your pots to their full potential and will allow them to get bigger, faster before you have to transplant.

13. I got 2 100W-eq 5500k CFL's, I couldn't find any at 6500K, will the 5500's work?