Lighting advice

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by lukasunky, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Hi everyone,

I have a small..well acctuallya uite big dillema..
    A friend gave me a 200w Dual CFL Kit..
    And half of the bulb, stopped working..
    Now as I saw on most of our countrys grow shops prices for this kind of bulb, i tought id maybe be better off buying a 250w HPS lamps, and the ballast, wich would cost me about the same, just the grow would turn out better from what i could see on other threads..?? Is there anything else besides the bulb and the ballast that i would need to buy in order to convert my kit from cfl to hps ?
    also tought of buying a 2 seperate lights and run a 20w cfl eco-lights..
    Any ideas?
    My growroom is a closet so about.. 50x50x180

Thanks for the helps,
    Regards,

2. Hi, I'm newish to this myself on my first grow atm i would of thought a different sort of shade may b needed for the difference in bulb heat? Maybe an adjustable light pulley system to control plant to light distance! As for the extra cfl lights ur thinking about I suppose it wouldn't harm unless I'm not thinking of everything that could cause problems. Like I say I'm a complete novice myself so I may be over analysing a bit!
    Go

3. Hands down.....go with the HPS
    You will be much more satisfied.

And in a closet that size, if you got the extra money.....I would go with a 400w

4. So does someone know if its even possible for the cfl light described above to only work with half the bulb.. So half of it is lit and half dark.. ?? Its my first cfl light so im realy not sure? Is it possible that theres some faulty wiering?:))

Regarding the 400w cfl.. Taught it was to much for a closet my size.. So what type of a ballast would i need to buy? And do i also need to get a starter.. When converting from the cfl kit?

Regards
    L

5. The bulb will still work a bit but will reduce the light that's getting to the plants. So either put the bulb closer or imo I would just get a new one. I would buy a new one just to make sure that the plants get everything they need with as little draw backs as possible.

Hope this helps a bit!

6. Ohh with regards to the watts it seems like the rite amount. My space it 100x100x180 and I have a 600w hps system now.

Also project ice has been great help on previous thread of mine so tbh whatever he says is sound info. :)