Light Trap

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by alexsaysyes, May 28, 2012.

1. Okay so I just started a new grow box, it's close to 2ftx2ftx2ft. This has to he super stealthy so I put the intake fans on the bottom of the cabinate ( there's a gap for air flow ), the exhaust fans are on the side of the box facing my wall. Now my problem is... I need a light trap to cover the light coming out of it, I need the smallest possible light trap and I would prefer it to blend into the wooden cabinate. Anyone have any good idea on light traps? would prefer diy but willing to buy some stuff. Will be posting a picture of the box during the day tomorrow, any other tips on smell containment would be appreciated to.

2. #2 Olde School, May 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2012
    You really don't need intake & exhaust fans, either one alone with the proper CFM will vent the box. The simplest method of adding a light trap is to build a plenum on the outside of the box, as wide as the box, extending about 2-3" out (a 2X3 furring strip is perfect; actual width = 2 & 1/2"), and all the way up the side of the box. Essentially like a false side to the box with the bottom & top sealed.
    Mount the fans through the side of your box at the bottom, and cut out a corresponding hole on the outside top of the plenum; or mount the fans at the top, blowing into the plenum, and have your cutout on the outside of the plenum at the bottom. Spray paint the inside only with flat black paint.

Smell containment - you could try an ozone generator, but for 100% elimination the only way to go is a carbon filter / air scrubber. You can use the fan for the scrubber to vent into the plenum; this will help keep down heat buildup as well as odor.

If there's ANY way possible, I'd increase the height of your box. If you can get 3', you'll appreciate it later!!! Best of luck to you!