Light to plant ratio

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by wongsuxx, Oct 21, 2010.

1. I'm installing a new cabinet inside my garage and i'm trying to determine how many plants and what size space to use. I have 2 1000w lights however i will only be able to use one as their is only 2 outlets in my garage both on the same 120v 15a breaker. I'll use a 1000w MH for veg and 1000w HPS for flowering.

My question is how many plants can i successfully grow using SOG under this amount of light, and what dimensions should I build my cabinet to maximize my effectiveness?

2. Well a 1k watt light can cover a 4x4 max efficiently so keep that in mind when building your grow space, sorry i can not advise on SOG Google it and see what other people do.

3. With a 1k watt HPS, without a cooltube, can be put around 18" away from the tops of the plants with adequate ventilation. So when you take into account the hood height, distance from bulb, and soil pot height you can decide how tall you want your plants.

But in your case going with the SOG method, you wont need as much height as if you were growing bigger plants. I'd say somewhere around 4' x 4' x 5' would be alright for your type of cabinet.

4. Thanks this is exactly what i was looking for. I have an AC Reflector w/ 6" flange and glass. Along with my 6" inline i should be fine on heat and be able to go a lil closer to my plants i'm thinking. +Rep for your help ty.

5. been wondering the same thing